unable to backup OS to my C:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unable to backup OS to my C:

I've recently used the interactive upgrade instructions to completely transfer all data on my Tivo 24004A 40GB original drive to a blank Seagate DB-35 without problem. However I checked off the backup OS option in the interactive setup, and could not get that to work. My hda primary master was a FAT32 formatted Seagate 15GB, with the original Tivo drive as hdb on the primary slave. All drive sizes were reported correctly. The first instruction after booting the linux media is

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt

which generates an error, and the drive is not mounted. I stopped right there, and did not attempt to execute the next instruction

mfsbackup -f 9999...........

So, I don't know what to fix. Where could my mistake be? The C: is a FAT32 drive, what more does the linux tool need?

What's the error?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The error is:

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k nls_cp437, errno = 2
      kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k nls_iso8859-1, errno = 2

Comment

It's been quite a few days since I posted this error, and no replies. I've done some internet searching and found surprisingly few references to this error, although others have encountered similar errors. I'm going to assume the error is a result of my particular computer hardware - certainly nothing exotic or outdated, just an ASRock K7VM3 motherboard with Athlon XP (that's the Via KM266Pro chipset). Since my Tivo upgrade works fine, the only thing I'm missing is the Tivo OS backup. I'll re-try an OS backup later on a different (older) computer I have laying around, and report if the backup worked or not.

Comment

We think you're right - sometimes the non-Intel chips do have a little heartache over the Linux software on our CD images.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Second machine, an Epox motherboard and plain old Athlon produces the exact same error. I just don't understand the dearth of others who encounter this error.

I decided to try using the Tiger's Mfs Tools Boot CD (MFSLBA48.iso), linked to on the Hinsdale how to website (section 4):

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hins...to/index9.html

Running this boot CD looks quite different than the Weaknees CD. I was able to verify the correct drive sizes reported, and despite a message "for Series 1 only", I forged ahead. Following the Hinsdale instructions for backup, with FAT32 c: on primary master and Tivo source on Primary slave, I entered:

mkdir /mnt/dos
            mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos

....and there was no error at this point! Encouraged, I entered the backup command:

mfsbackup -f 9999 -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb

....and the backup began executing with percentage completed updating. When the backup completed, I unmounted the backup drive using:

umount -f -a -r

...and exit/shutdown using the ctrl-alt-del.

That's it, I think I have a usable backup, though I haven't actually tested it. The size of the backup from my 40GB Maxtor source turned out to be a bit over 400MB.

If anyone thinks I've fouled up the backup somehow, I'd invite your comment.

Comment

Originally posted by precession7 View Post
              Second machine, an Epox motherboard and plain old Athlon produces the exact same error. I just don't understand the dearth of others who encounter this error.

I decided to try using the Tiger's Mfs Tools Boot CD (MFSLBA48.iso), linked to on the Hinsdale how to website (section 4):

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hins...to/index9.html

Running this boot CD looks quite different than the Weaknees CD. I was able to verify the correct drive sizes reported, and despite a message "for Series 1 only", I forged ahead. Following the Hinsdale instructions for backup, with FAT32 c: on primary master and Tivo source on Primary slave, I entered:

mkdir /mnt/dos
              mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos

....and there was no error at this point! Encouraged, I entered the backup command:

mfsbackup -f 9999 -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb

....and the backup began executing with percentage completed updating. When the backup completed, I unmounted the backup drive using:

umount -f -a -r

...and exit/shutdown using the ctrl-alt-del.

That's it, I think I have a usable backup, though I haven't actually tested it. The size of the backup from my 40GB Maxtor source turned out to be a bit over 400MB.

If anyone thinks I've fouled up the backup somehow, I'd invite your comment.

These are the exact commands I used, and the exact respnses Linux gave me, during my 2 hacks. The size of the .bak file you got is reasonable. Looks to me like you succeeded. Do your self a favor, and copy this .bak file to a couple places including a cd-r, for safekeeping. Congrats.

Comment

Working...
              X