Now SA 8240 won't read from external HD any longer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now SA 8240 won't read from external HD any longer

My Weaknees SATA external hard drive was working well with my SA 8240 HDC, as I had posted in an earlier thread last month. Yesterday, I had to unplug the hard drive and the 8240 to access some other cables in my entertainment center. Unfortunately, I plugged in the 8240 first, before plugging in the hard drive. I caught the error before the 8240 fully booted up. I know this because the display was still blank, not showing the current time, when I quickly unplugged the 8240.

I then plugged in the hard drive, let it run for a few minutes, then plugged in the 8240, which booted up just fine. All the recorded programs showed as normal (27 programs recorded) and 25% of recordable space used. The problem is when I went to the 8240 "recorded" program list to view one of these previously recorded program.

When I selected a specific recorded program from the list which was recorded prior to the above unplugging, the 8240 could not find it. All I got was a default DVR page telling me to go to the "list" button. I tried unplugging the hard drive and 8240 again, repeating the proper power up seqence as above, but to no avail. I still can't access programs recorded prior to the first unplugging, but I can view more recently recorded programs. In addition, even though I cannot view one of these earlier recorded progrms, I can erase them.

Question: what can I do to be able to access all these prior recorded programs that I can see on the "recorded program" list?

I would hate to lose all of them.

Thank you.

Sorry to say, the software in these Scientific Atlanta boxes doesn't seem to be very tolerant of errors. So it may, in fact, be that your programs aren't watchable, from before that point.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

How do I know my ext. hard drive is recording

After I got the response from WK-Michael, my thought was how do I know my ext. hard drive is working? After all, the recent recorded programs I am able to view that were recorded after the "unplugging" may simply be recorded on the 8240's internal hard drive, not the ext drive.

I guess I can unplug the external hard drive and see if can play the newer recorded programs, however I really don't want to unplug this hard drive again, unless I have to.

Hypothetical: If I find the new programs are indeed on the internal 8240 hard drive, and not the external where they should by reason of open storage space, would I need to reformat the external hard drive to get the 8240 to record to it?

If I need to reformat, how do I do this?

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X