Reboot on playback......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reboot on playback......

I did, hopefully correctly, the upgrade to add a second drive to an R10 with 80GB drive. All I wanted to do was add a second spare 80GB drive, which had worked PERFECTLY in the PC while in use. The drive was checked and scanned and shows NO BAD SECTORS OR OTHER PROBLEMS in the computer.

Went through the instructions, did the mfsadd, everything was fine. Booted the R10 and it says there are now 136 hours available. Records fine. There have been 3 or 4 shows recorded.

Playback NOT SO GOOD...... Intermittently, and seemingly randomly, the playback halts, I can hear what sounds like disk activity, then the yellow welcome screen that says I'll be waiting 15 minutes for a reboot... Going back to the spot where it crashed, the recording plays on just fine.

I don't have any programs I need to save, although I'm getting REALLY tired of having to reprogram the favorite channels and season passes every time I do a complete rebuild......

What's going on, and how do I FIX IT?

One of the drives is bad, most likely. Test both in a PC.

There are times that drives show no errors in a PC, but cause problems in TiVos. It sounds like this was a desktop drive and not a DVR drive, so that may be contributing to the problems.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

More bizarre than a drive! I swapped out the B drive just to see, and after a few minutes it started acting the same way - sometimes the unit couldn't even reboot. It'd just hang at the Welcome screen.......

I figured - there's ONLY three pieces here - power cable, IDE cable, drives themselves...... They're getting power 'cause they're spinning. The A drive was working originally and hasn't been clobbered or anything. The B drive passed tests in the PC........ The IDE cable isn't tight on one drive.....

Pulled it and replaced the cable with one of the many in the box of IDE cables...... SO FAR, it's worked fine in my tests.... No more noisy periods of drive access, clicking and whirring, no more reboots, etc......

Certainly DOESN'T mean one of the drives ISN'T going bad, but SO FAR...

Of course, all this was done with the cover off, so it's also possible its a ventilation problem, but I put a more powerful cooling fan in the unit to keep the two drives cool, so HOPEFULLY, it'll be ok...... I should probably pick up one or your 2-drive mounts, but at this moment they're working stacked with spacers between them - very similar to the way they're mounted in the PC.

Comment

It's definitely rare for a cable to go bad, but we've also seen it happen a number of times over the years. Hopefully, that's it!
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X