how to connect a new Direct TV HD DVR reciever and a HD Tivo Reciever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to connect a new Direct TV HD DVR reciever and a HD Tivo Reciever

Here is what I have. I have a new Install of DirectTV at my home, it comes in off the roof into a wiring distribution unit. I have the 4 antenna inputs going into a 8 way multiswitch that DirectTV supplied. I have two legs running down stairs where my TV is. I would like to run both recievers down stairs, but only have two cables running to that location.

I have a 3rd reciever up stairs in the bedroom which is also a direct TV HD DVR which works fine.

Running two new cables may be difficult so if I could use hardware to leverage the two cables running downstairs that would be great.

You could, using a SWM, but you'd need all four cables going into the SWM:

http://www.weaknees.com/swm
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

So If I replace the multiswitch with an SWM. and I run two legs down stairs, how do I connect it to both the Direct TV DVR which has two SAT inputs and the HD Tivo Unit which also has two SAT inputs?

Do I need something else?

Comment

No TiVo can really use a SWM signal. What are the exact models of the equipment?

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          No TiVo can really use a SWM signal. What are the exact models of the equipment?
          I have two DTV Tivos that were offered in the past. Philips DSR708 & Hughes SD-DVR40. I also have 2 DTV DVRs R15-300 one of which will be replaced by the DTV HD HR-22.

A supervisor and tech that came to my home had told me that due to line of site problems they could not install a regular hd dish and that the only way that I can get an HD signal was with a SWM setup. I had told them that I have 4 DVRs two of which are Tivos and they said that I will still be able to use them. I had also called DTVs cust srvc and they did confirm that the techs were correct. At first the techs were certain that I was NOT able to get an HD signal but after 15 minutes of talking with each other and someone on the phone they said that it was possible with a SWM dish by way of cutting the signal in half. 1st half being the reg HD content and the 2nd half, which was being "cut", the Spanish & International channels.

Can you or someone please explain why and how this setup can or cannot work so I can make an educated decision if I should keep DTV or switch to Verizon's Fios. The most important factors to me are picture/sound quality and DVR usage.

Thank you in advance for your much needed input, Luke.

Comment

I frankly don't see how or why a SWM setup would solve your problem if you don't have line of sight with an HD dish. I would recommend that you get a second opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
              I frankly don't see how or why a SWM setup would solve your problem if you don't have line of sight with an HD dish. I would recommend that you get a second opinion.
              Thank you for the quick reply! I totally agree. From what I could comprehend from the supervisor was that with my std dish, that was installed on the side of my chimney, I am receiving a signal from one satellite. He said to get HD the new dish needs to receive a signal from 5 satellites which of course is not possible because of the small southern sky window. However, as he stated, the window is big enough to accomodate 3 signals from the SWM setup. He did go up on my 3 story roof with his "reader thingy" and took his measurements. I am getting 92% & 97% from the Sat Signals now. What is considered a bad percentage so I can go back and tell DTV that I am receiving a poor signal after the new dish is installed.

I am receiving everything for free after several cust svc problems and complaints so cost is not the issue BUT I will be stuck with a 2 yr contract with DTV. DTV's installer is coming on Thursday so this is why I'm seeking answers anywhere I can.

Thanks again, Luke.
              Last edited by lcda4; 10-21-2008, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Anything above 80% is generally fine. I'm not sure is there is a specific limit with DirecTV.

Comment

Working...
                X