I Think I Need A Fan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Think I Need A Fan...

Just got setup with my 2 SWM system. Everything works great, however, since the 2 SWMs are stacked, they are getting really hot! I'd love to find a small, quiet, high CFM, AC fan to cool these babies. I'm assuming they will run better and longer if cooled. Can someone suggest a fan and where to get one?
    As I said, the system is working great and was a breeze to setup, although I did have to explain it all to the installer...he finally got it. Thanks Weaknees!

Are you using the E2 system? If so, we've seen a little heat on those, but they're rated to run pretty hot. Frankly, if you aren't having problems with it and the heat doesn't seem like it's in fire hazard territory, we'd just leave them running hot.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes, I am using the E2. It's hot enough to be uncomfortable to the touch. I can't keep my hand on the lower SWM for more than 5 seconds or so. I also know that typically, heat is the enemy of electronics, so I generally like everything to be running as cool as possible. Would it be a good idea to mount the SWMs to a sheet of aluminum or something?
      Last edited by Darita; 09-30-2008, 07:59 AM.

Comment

I really don't know about convection cooling of these, but the best is to just get airflow, either with a dedicated fan (as you suggested) or just an area that isn't an enclosed cabinet.

Comment

Well, I went to Fry's and found a great little fan. It's about 3 1/2" square, moves air at 32cfm at 14db of sound. Its a 12v fan, so I got a step-variable AC supply for it, that allows me to speed up or slow down the fan. Mounted on edge, it's just the right height to blow air over the entire two-SWM aassembly. It's made all the difference in the world, as far as cooling the SWMs. I don't know what functional difference it makes or how it will effect longevity of the SWMs, but it makes me feel a lot better.

Comment

OK - that sounds like the right move!

Comment

Working...
            X