SWM-8 Port 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM-8 Port 2

Just trying to get my head around the SWM, and after reviewing the Directv info, I have a question maybe someone can answer.

The SWM-8 has 2 SWM ports...port #1 that can be connected to a splitter/power inserter and provides 8 channels. I have seen some pictures showing something connected to port #2 that the drawing says "can be connected to SWM ODU's". However the literature keeps saying "8 channels".

Can port #2 be used like port #1 to connect another 8 SWM ODUs for a total of 16? Or can you still only have 8 receivers on ports 1 & 2?

Thanks.

You can have a total of 8 tuners on a SWM8. If you want to split them between the two ports, that's fine...but you will never get more than 8 tuners (eg. 4 DVRs) out of one SWM8. If you need more than 8, get two SWMs and a 2-SWM chassis.

Comment

OK...then what purpose does the 2nd SWM port serve?

I saw something in one of the drawings that claims port #2 can be used "for a single SWM ODU". Is it possible that the 2nd port can do a 9th receiver?

I also saw something where they call the SWM-8 a 2-apartment switch, with SWM ports for 2 dwellings.

Comment

The second port basically means you have a 1x2 splitter integrated into the SWM. The unit can only support 8 SWM signals.

There's no reason you can't support two or more apartments with one SWM, as long as the total number of tuners is 8 or less.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X