Series 3 Maximum Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 3 Maximum Storage

Well, I thought I'd survive with a stock Series 3 longer than I have without upgrading, but I won't be able to. 300 hours of basic recording is plenty, but record a 3 hour HDTV movie and you lose 30 hours of that time. So I have a few questions before I plunk down $500 on a 750GB drive:

Is the Series 3 capable of only one internal drive?

Are any drives coming out in the near future in excess of 750GB?

Is there any way to copy HD recordings to another drive?
    Will the external storage option in the Series 3 be usable at some point?

Can HD programs be burned to DVD, or is the only storage right now on the internal drive?

How far away is "multi room viewing"? When it does become available will it require another Series 3 to view HD recordings? Actually, that's a whole nuther discussion, but I'm trying to think of all my options for storing HD programming.

Yes, the Series3 is capable of only one internal drive. There are some who've put external RAIDs on these, but without a lot of stability. We've looked at a lot of options, and we don't think anything larger than one 750 GB drive will be a viable solution for quite a while. We understand that terabyte drives won't be out until next summer at the soonest.

For our $79 service fee, we can copy everything on your current drive to t you new drive. We don't know if/when external storage will be a reality, but we doubt it will be soon given CableCard restrictions. For that same reason, we don't see multi-room viewing happening any time soon either.

With an external DVD recorder, you can save shows to DVD in SD format.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X