SWM Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM Issues

Hi, I've been using the SWM8 for a couple of weeks, and am having a few issues.

1) My HR22 regularly "freezes". The screen may or may not become pixellated, freeze momentarily, and then resume. If this happens, the entire process will be approximately 5 seconds. When motion resumes, the screen is pixellated until all the screen has been redrawn. This will happen anywhere from once an hour to every 15 minutes. This is even on a sunny, clear day.

2) The same HR22 will get Searching for Satellite on Tuner 2 (771) several times a day. Sometimes it will come back by itself, sometimes we will unplug and plug in the HR22.

We suspected the DVR, so we switched it with the one from the other room(also HR22), and same symptoms. We have two HR22-700s and one R16-300 tuner for a total of six tuners on the SWM8.

3) Our phone line occasionally gets a large buzz on it, making it unusable. At first, a phone cable was running past the power inverter behind the TV. Moving the phone line helped. Today, the buzz came back, and moving the line did not help. The only thing that helped was to unplug the power inverter. When I did this, I noticed a distinct odor coming from the PI. Not really a "burning" odor, but an unusual odor. Could it be that there is a blown capacitor in the PI causing excessive noise and this odor?

Looking for resolution, thanks!

Troy

Wow - I would say that we've never heard of any of those, at least in relation to a SWM.

Did you have any of this equipment running before you had the SWM?

When you swapped the HR22 DVRs, did the problem move with the HR22, or did it stay with the location?

Are all three DVRs on the SWM?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Did you have any of this equipment running before you had the SWM?
      Prior to the SWM, I was using the HR22 with a single input, after several resets, the technician finally got the 771s to stop. I persisted with DirecTV, and was able to get reimbursed for the SWM, which I purchased here. They installed it.

In addition to the HR22, I was previously running a an D10? (old SD) and R15? (old SD dvr). No issues on the SD tuners. I just wanted Dual tuner on the HD DVR. In the process of getting the HR22 onto SWM, they upgraded the SD DVR to a second HR22, and the SD receiver to the R16.

When you swapped the HR22 DVRs, did the problem move with the HR22, or did it stay with the location?
      I don't sit in front of the second DVR much, so its symptoms are tough to say. But the problem did not get any better or worse on the primary HR22 when we swapped the HR22s. My son has reported that it "glitches" sometimes on the TV he watches (attached to the second HR22), but he's typically primarily playing Xbox, so it doesn't matter as much (and he doesn't track the symptoms very well).

So I think that the problem is in fact house-wide. The freezes happen occasionally on the R16, but I don't think I have seen the 771 on that TV.

Are all three DVRs on the SWM?
      All three DVRs are on the SWM. The drop with the PI is with the primary HR22.

Also, when I have been "frozen", I have navigated to the signal meters, and witnessed zero signal on both tuners.

Comment

Since at least some problems existed before the SWM, I'd recommend getting that HR22 swapped out. It may be poisoning the system. At the very least, try running the system without it for a few days and see if any other units exhibit problems.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          Since at least some problems existed before the SWM, I'd recommend getting that HR22 swapped out. It may be poisoning the system. At the very least, try running the system without it for a few days and see if any other units exhibit problems.
          You don't seem to understand... the "problems" that existed before the SWM were due to the fact that I didn't have an SWM, and it was searching for signal on the second tuner. The SWM was purchased to correct that problem.

The Primary HR22 we are currently using is the "new" one, that came at the time of the SWM install.

Also, could you please address the Power Inserter issues mentioned in the OP?

Thanks

Comment

OK - so the 771 was only on SAT2?

We haven't seen interference due to a Power Inserter, but we can swap yours out, if you'd like (assuming it was from us and under warranty still).

Comment

Working...
            X