SWM vs. Hi Freq Splitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM vs. Hi Freq Splitter

what I'm trying to do seems simple so I'm guessing the answer is simple...

New HR-22 installed today, the one line into the old DTV box was put into the Sat1 input. I want to duplicate that input for the Sat2 input. The more I read about SWM, the more it seemed more solution than I need. Would the Hi Freq Splitter good for 3 gHz for High Def DVR?

http://www.weaknees.com/splitter-coax.php.

Thanks in advance!

SDVolley

No splitter will put multiple DirecTV signals into one wire. For that, you need a SWM. That's the whole point of the SWM.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hi Michael -

Much thanks for your quick response. What I'm actually trying to do is split one wire into two. The HD signal currently is delivered from the dish to the HD 22 via one 3GHz cable, I'd like to split that into two. I got that feeling too that SWM was more about combining and delivering than splitting what is already delivered. (tho I may still be bass-ackwards!)

thanks again!

John

Comment

clarify

...it's one 3 GHz cable when it *gets* to the HD22 -- many other fun things going on before that point!

Comment

The SWM is what you need. The SWM does both, but I'd say the primary purpose is to feed multiple tuners using a single wire and splitters.

Comment

Think I'm gettin' it

Ok - cool - thanks much, that makes sense. So it wounds like thw the SWM can do a whole lotta stuff -- I just have it sitting next to my HD22 -- one 3 GHz line going into the SWM, two 3 GHz lines coming out of the SWM into the HS22.

Is it that simple?

Comment

Not even close, sorry to say. Is it an HR22? Then it only needs one line coming out of the SWM. But the SWM needs four lines going into it from the dish. See the wiring diagrams here:

http://www.swm8.com/

So the SWM can be near the dish, and one wire from there can go to your HR22.
              Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hi Michael -

Thanks again for your quick response and your patience.

On the back on the HR22-100, there are two inputs, one says "Satellite In 1 (SWM-2)" and the second has "Satellite In 2". They're on the left on the back of the box.

The DTV installed said that a line going into both inputs was required to be able to watch one channel while recording another. Is this true?

Currently, there is one 3 GHz line coming out of the wall, this goes into a B-Band converter which goes into the "Satellite In 1 (SWM-2)".

Is there any way to branch/split/duplicate that 3 GHz line that comes out of the wall so that it can be routed to the "Satellite In 2" input -- without doing anything outside the house?

Thanks again very much!

John

Comment

i am being overly naive/uneducated to think a simple splitter that goes to 3 GHz would work...something along the lines of this? or is it too lossy?

http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/hi...l_splitter.htm

Comment

NO. It won't work like that. You would need to wire as the wiring diagrams suggest. We understand your wiring and your situation, and if there were an easier way to make it work, we would tell you. You need to follow the SWM wiring diagram.

Comment

Working...
                    X