SWM antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM antenna

Recently installed the the SWM antenna with single output.
    The cable run was just under 200 feet from antenna to SWS-4 splitter,pi-28 and 3 receivers. They are all colocated in an equipment rack. I would like to add a 4th receiver on the open port but the receiver will be another 200 feet away from the SWS-4. Is there an approved amplifier for this extended run if needed ?
    Regards
    Owenf

We really work more with the SWM8 since it's been around much longer. With those, we'd guess that you're looking at too much cable in there. And since our general understanding of the SWM ODU is that it's a bit less powerful, we think this would be even more problematic.

You might check with a company called Sonora. They make an amplifier for SWM lines. But we've never really tried it.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I have come across the sonora design site but only looked at it briefly.
      Will research more tonight though.
      Thanks for the quick reply.
      Regards Owenf
      P.S. From what i was told the SL5S is basically a 5 lnb antenna with the
      SWM8 built right in but with only 1 output to feed the power inserter and up to 8 tuners. Right now it is working at 200'.

Comment

As far as we know, that unit only handles five tuners - not eight.

There are other differences (no diplexing OTA or cable, for instance).
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Actually, the SWM ODU (SWM-line dish) handles 8 tuners. Originally it was going to be a SWM5 (5 tuners), but DIRECTV changed the specs.

Comment

So in the current set up if i run an additional 200' of cable to a 4th receiver
            from the open port on the sws4 splitter what if any amplifier is approved ?
            I see many for the 950-2300 MHz range but none to do 250-2300 MHz range.
            That is what I need right ? Or am I missing something ?
            Thanks for your help
            Regards
            Owenf

Comment

The sat signal is not below 950 on the SWM. You don't need 250-950. That said, DIRECTV has not endorsed any amplifier for a signal coming out of a SWM. In all of the training stuff I have seen, they specifically say that you should not be installing anything between the SWM and the receivers other than a power inserter. Nonetheless, there are people who have tried amps with the SWM multiswitches. I don't know whether these same products work with the SWM ODU.

Comment

Working...
              X