Drive corruption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive corruption?

I've got a WD 320 in a tivo, and it started not booting.

I've run 'dd' on it and didn't get any errors. I'm not sure how to do more involved drive testing on it.

When I do 'mfstools info' on the drive, it says the primary zone map is corrupt and it displays the backup information. Is there any way to get it to copy the backup to the primary? I can shove the drive in again and see if that allows it to boot.

I'm not expecting it to change the cause of the corruption, but I would like to see if it will boot.

--
    Darren

Oh, never mind. I ran a backup of it to /dev/null and saw the corruption is widespread. I doubt it could just be ignored. I'll have to see if the drive is damaged. :-(
    --
    Darren

Comment

Hmm. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong instead. The drive I have appears to be just fine. I've 'dd'ed it all sorts of ways. Everything goes on it just fine, no problems. No issues reading stuff back.

I tried copying stuff from a 40G to to it (320G). I saw no errors during the copy, but I get a segfault when checking the drive later.

Code:
      # mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdb
      Scanning source drive.  Please wait a moment.
      Source drive size is 40 hours
      [blah blah....]
      Backing up 35872 of 35872 megabytes (100.00%)
      Backup done!
      Restoring 35872 of 35872 megabytes (100.00%)
      Cleaning up restore.  Please wait a moment.
      Restore done!
      Adding pair /dev/hdb14-/dev/hdb15
      New estimated standalone size: 366 hours (326 more)
      #
      So far so good... But..

Code:
      # mfsinfo /dev/hdb
      Primary volume header corrupt, trying backup.
      Secondary volume header corrupt, giving up.
      mfs_load_volume_header: Bad checksum.
      Segmentation fault
      The drive *seems* okay (boots in the Dtivo), but the "header corrupt" messages make me nervous. Why the message if something isn't seriously wrong here?

Thanks!
      --
      Darren

Comment

Sounds like there may be corruption on the source drive, software-wise.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Is there any way to tell if that's true (some check program)?

The odd thing was that after running that and seeing the error, I was sure there was a problem (especially since I had a previous problem with this machine), but now that it's in the TiVo, everything seems okay.

After I had the first set of problems with the 320, I took my original 40G drive (been on a shelf for 4 years) and put it in the TiVo. No problems for a week while I was busy and looking at the 320G to try to find any trouble with it.

Then yesterday I put the data back on the 320 and got that error when trying to see the info, but the 320 has booted (it's even run a software update) and so far so good.... I would have thought that if mfsinfo couldn't even find the volume header that it wouldn't have booted.

--
          Darren

Comment

Right - that does seem a bit strange. I don't know of any way to really check the integrity. You could try doing a backup and then a restore, and that runs a pretty complete check on the partitions. But if it works, maybe that's all you need.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X