Stuck at fast forward, then on 'power up' screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck at fast forward, then on 'power up' screen

I was wondering if anyone has seen this problem: I was watching a currently recording program - I was watching the beginning of the program that had already recorded. I did the three clicks for the rapid fast forward, and the screen froze with the fast forward bar at the bottom. None of the TIVO buttons would work. Ultimately, I had to unplug the unit to stop the situation. I let it rest and plugged it back in - at this point, the unit stuck on the 'powering up' screen alternating with the 'almost there' screen. I tried unplugging and re-plugging the unit several times. I tried a couple of the 'kickstart' codes. Anytime the unit is plugged in, it sticks on the alternating screens as above noted. My unit is the Sony stand-alone SVR-2000. I do not have the TIVO service, I use the unit as a basic VCR replacement. Two or three years ago the hard-drive burned out and was replaced with a 80gb drive. The unit runs cool. Does this seem like another hard-drive replacement is needed - or could there be another explanation? Thanks, in advance, for any replys.

Yes - that's almost definitely a bad hard drive. Given the symptoms, we're pretty sure a new drive would fix the unit. Just be sure to get a "replace" kit. We have them here.

You'll still be able to use the unit without service with the new drive, although it will want to dial in once or twice during setup.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the advice and I will order the hard drive.

Just curious, is my older model the only generation of 'stand-alone' TIVO that is able to function as a basic VCR-level replacement without having to subscribe to the TIVO service; or, are there other newer models on the market that would also be able to do this. I would love to have the new series 3 because of the dual tuner, but I have absolutely no need or desire to have the TIVO subscription service. Will the series 3 or ANY other model function at a non-subscription level like my Sony SVR-2000?

Comment

The only newer models that don't need monthly service (besides those with lifetime service, obviously) are the non-Humax DVD models. So the Pioneer and Toshiba models all can record without service. What they have it a bit more than your time and date recording - they have TiVo Basic which allows more functionality and a guide, but no season passes, and no dual-tuner capabilities. They're actually pretty nice machines, but none are made any more.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X