Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need new Tivo - can I just swap with new?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new Tivo - can I just swap with new?

I have a Huges HDVR2 with one good tuner and one bad tuner. The local DirecTV rep, who came out and confirmed what I already knew about the unit, said that they would replace it with a free R15 if I signed up for another year of DirecTV service. After reading countless negative comments about the R15, I'm thinking of just paying the $150 for a Tivo replacement at weaKnees. But if I select "WeaKnees Choice", my remote won't work if they chose a unit other than the HDVR2, right? And would the same be true for the access card? If I select Huges HDVR2 and pay the extra $10, I assume I could use my existing remote, but could I also use my existing access card? Would I have to contact DirecTV after swapping the DVR, or could I just swap the unit and card and everything should work without doing anything else or notifying anyone else?

Also, after reading the comparison of the R10 and the R15 at:
    http://www.wkblog.com/2005/12/the_we...compariso.html
    my impression was that, yes, the R10 is the better choice, but the R10 should work okay, though the interface would not be very pleasant. But the comments that followed that comparison were far more negative than the comparison itself. Why is that? If I had only seen the original comparison without the follow up comments, I probably would have figured I'd just save $150 plus and put up with the free R15. But after seeing all the comments, I'm not sure. What gives?

Tim
    Last edited by timothyjb; 12-31-2006, 07:58 PM.

Actually, all of the units on the DirecTV TiVo page use the same remote, and can use the same access card. So assuming you have a Peanut remote and a card, you're all set for the 'WeaKnees choice' option.

We tried to be unbiased in the review, but actually most people think it weighs in favor of the R10, which we do think is the far better unit.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X