New eSATA drive not "functioning properly"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New eSATA drive not "functioning properly"

Just received my 1TB drive for the 8300HD (Cox, San Diego) from weaKness. Very happy with how fast it came.

Hooked it up, powered up, and got the prompt to format the drive, said to do it. Didn't see an increase in space so restarted again. That time, and every time since, the 8300 complains that the "External Device is not functioning properly". This last time that message was shown twice (after both boxes were power cycled, waited 3 minutes after drive was powered up before plugging in the 8300).

What it seems like is the drive wasn't completely formatted or is otherwise in a funky state. Is there any way to force a reformat or otherwise diagnose the problem? I know the "hold select press info" trick of getting to the diagnostic screen but it just looks like no device is connected.

If I unplug the cable and restart the box I don't get the errors so the 8300 can tell the drive is connected.

Thanks for any help.

Are you powering off the cable box, then powering on the drive first--for 20 seconds or so--before turning the box on?

Comment

Yup. Even waited longer just to be sure.

If this was being connected to a computer, I would be trying a disk utility...

Thanks.

Comment

Are you sure the eSATA cable is securely plugged in at each end?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes, no mechanical issues. Everything snug.

Comment

OK - email us directly at [email protected]. We can try an entirely new eSATA cable, or we can get the unit back here for a check.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X