Unsuccessful Upgrade Using Hinsdale Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsuccessful Upgrade Using Hinsdale Process

I tried upgrading from a single drive Tivo to a larger single drive setup, but the result was a "Serious Error..." message after the "Powering Up" screen. Below are the details. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Series 2 DirecTiVo TIVO - Philips DSR704
    Philips 35hr DSR704 DirecTiVo, Single 40GB A drive

Original drive: Maxtor Fireball 3 ATA/133 – 40 GB
    New Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE – 320 GB

Current software version: 6.2-01-2-301

Steps taken:
    • Note: New drive had been previously formatted under NTFS
    • Downloaded MFS Tools boot CD (11.5 mb version)
    • Step 7: Backup your Tivo drive with MFS Tools - OPTION #3 (limited use): COPYING TiVo DRIVE TO NEW UPGRADE DRIVE

dd if={orig Tivo drive} of={new drive} bs=1024k

• Step 10: Return drive to your PC and perform the recording capacity upgrade - UPGRADE CONFIGURATION #3: From: Any Single Drive TiVo
    To: New A and New B Drive |or| New Single Larger A Drive
    (Slow option – preserves setup, season passes, etc. and recordings)

mfsbackup –Tao – {orig Tivo drive} | mfsrestore –s 127 –xzpi – {new drive}

• Put new drive into Tivo jumperd to cable select (same as original drive). After “powering up” screen, received a message something like “Serious Error…” Tried it with the drive jumpered to Master, but same result.

I can only assume that the original drive had a Green Screen (serious error) before the copy. Is that right? If so, the problem is that your original image was corrupted, and so now this copy is just a copy of the corrupt data.

We sell TiVo upgrade kits that should work for your model - just be sure to get a replace kit.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The original drive was fine. In fact, after I put the old drive back in, Tivo continued to work fine.

Someone pointed out that large drives require a "-r 4" option during the mfsrestore step. Do you know if leaving that out would cause it?

Comment

The -r 4 options worked, and I only had to repeat the last step. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X