Upgraded hard drive locks up on converter box brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded hard drive locks up on converter box brand

I recently purchased a Weaknees pre-formatted 160gb hard drive for my series 2 TIVO. As advertised it was a quick and easy 10 minute install. However when going through the guided set-up, it locks up on the digital Converter Box Brand screen. It gets to the screen and asks me to select the brand of your converter box from the list below, but there are no brands listed and nothing to click on. As a result, I can't progress with the guided set-up. I have unplugged the TIVO and repeated the process three times and it refuses to go past this screen. I had no difficulty in progressing beyond this screen which I initially set-up my original TIVO for use with a digital converter box. Has anyone had this problem? It seems like the only problem could be the pre-loaded software isn't complete.

What exact TiVo model do you have?

In most cases, you can still progress beyond that screen and then dial-in, and redo setup later.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Try configuring the Tivo to work without a cable box, just analog. Then continue with guided set up and connect to Tivo and download all the info and updates. When everything is up and running, rerun guided set up and try setting it up to use a cable box.

Comment

Thank you for your attempted assistance. As an interim step, I have set up the upgraded hard drive/TIVO to work with an analog signal, but that is only a fix until the nationwide digital conversion in Feb. I have a TIVO Series 2- 80gb, the first 11 of the TIVO service number are 140-0000-8026. Per the system info, the software version is 9.3.2a-01-2-140, which came pre-loaded on the Weaknees upgrade hard drive (order #594024). Is it possible to trick TIVO into reloading the same software version to try and fix the glitch? Thanks again.

Comment

I too have this problem right now. I just started a new thread asking for help. I was able to complete the set up a couple of months ago, where the converter brand was listed on the screen. However, my hard drive dies on this series 2 unit, and after replacing it, I can not get past the screen which is now blank and does not list the converter boxes to pick. I can't get past this to complete the set up.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetp View Post
            I too have this problem right now. I just started a new thread asking for help. I was able to complete the set up a couple of months ago, where the converter brand was listed on the screen. However, my hard drive dies on this series 2 unit, and after replacing it, I can not get past the screen which is now blank and does not list the converter boxes to pick. I can't get past this to complete the set up.
            I have responded to your other post with instructions on how to proceed.

Comment

Getting the converter box brand to show up

When you get to the lock up point go back to "do you see a picture in the background" and tell it no. Tell it you will fix the problem later and just get through the set up. You need to get the latest software version from tivo by forcing a connection. To do that, from tivo central go to Messages and Settings> Settings> Phone and Network> Connect to the tivo service now>. Do this 3 to 5 times while restarting your tivo each time from the messages and settings screen> restart or reset system> restart the tivo dvr. (takes a long time to download and load the new software, just be patient)
              Once you've got the latest software go through the setup again and you should see your converter box list. It's really too bad weaknees doesnt load the latest software for you and they really don't have a clue how to fix this problem either.

Comment

For what it's worth, Jimoney, we actually had conversations with TiVo engineers months ago about this specific issue and we have instructed customers--successfully--to get this working in a different way. It appears that TiVo recently incorporated the converter box changes into a new sub-version of the software, so we have not yet started rolling this newest version out with kits. In fact, TIVO did not provide us with any new information about a change in procedure, so we're happy to take the blame, but what TiVo suggested to you is news to us.

Comment

Working...
                X