Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two TiVos in same house, different accounts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two TiVos in same house, different accounts?

I have two TiVos. They're in different cities and on different accounts. One (machine "B") has a lifetime sub (it's the refurb they sold me when the 140xxx I bought on eBay was DOA). The other (machine "A") has about 2 months left on its first 1-year sub and I'm thinking of getting a lifetime sub for it at the reduced price of $299 (cheaper than the lifetime subs sold on eBay).

If I put both machines in the same house, can they be on the same LAN? And if so, can I transfer programming between the machines, even though they're on different accounts? I'm having trouble with my Slingbox at house "A" and I'm thinking of bringing the TiVo with me to the other, then I can watch TCM recordings (available only at house "A") while I'm in house "B". If I can transfer all the recordings from "A" to "B", then I can take the machine with me every other trip. Obviously fixing the Slingbox is the priority, but it's not going to happen this trip and may take a while to troubleshoot.

Thanks!
    =aw

Don't mean to dodge the question, but you won't be able to get the $299 unless the two TiVos are on the same account...so why not just put them on the same account and avoid all of the issues?

Comment

That's a good question. Can I have them on the same account and run them in different cities? I was thinking of asking TiVo about this too, but I usually trust the experts more than the call centre agents.

I think they must be having a sale on the $299 because here's what I see on tivo.com.

If I go to https://www3.tivo.com/store/plans.do without logging in, I'm offered $12.95/$129/$299/$399 for monthy/1yr/3yr/lifetime (wasn't there a 2-year plan where the annual cost was 99 < x < 129?)

There's a banner ad on the left side, "Qualifying TiVo customers: Save up to 25% on TiVo Service, Sign in to see if you qualify". Also a link at the top, "Already have a TiVo DVR? Sign in to see if you qualify for a discount..."

So I sign in to my 1-year account, and the prices are $9.95/$99/$299 for monthly/1yr/lifetime (not discount on 3yr I guess). This account has only one machine, the prepaid unit I bought last April. My Lifetime service is on another account (I bought it on eBay and the seller couldn't change the email to the same one, because there was already an account -- I gave him my Yahoo account and he used that).

I'd be happy to put them both on one billing account (email address) especially if it lets me transfer programs between then on the same LAN. I don't mind paying full price (esp 25% reduced) for the privilege. I think there's another discount (to like $6.95/mo on monthly) for having two on the same LAN all the time? I wouldn't want to do that as I need a TiVo in each house.

Does that make more sense? I've read that there's another discount for multiple machines on the same LAN, what happens if you move one of them somewhere else?

Thanks!
      =aw

Comment

Okay now that I read it even more closely, I guess those prices are if I want to buy another one?

Assuming that's right, so the whole discount thing is irrelevant, can I put the two existing machines on one billing account and keep them on different LANs? And transfer between machines when they're on the same LAN?

Thanks!
        =aw

Comment

Yes, you can have them on the same acct, but in different cities. you will only be able to transfer when they are on the same network, however.

Comment

Thanks, I think that will do what I want (sometimes at least).

I guess the 25% discount is for having two on the same account on the same LAN all the time?

=aw

Comment

The same LAN does not matter. Subsequent units on the same account get the discount.

Comment

For renewals too? Then I should make sure they're both on the same account before I renew!

Thanks again. I made need to upgrade both HDs.

=aw

Comment

Working...
                X