Can a Replacement Kit be used to add Capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Replacement Kit be used to add Capacity

I have ordered a replacement kit for my Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV DVR system because our unit was freezing up when replaying recorded programs. I had followed the steps to clear the hard drive and reset. After 3 hours it still had not restarted and I assumed that the drive had failed. Oddly enough when I woke up in the morning, it had finished and I had a clean DVR that so far has been working correctly. I am wondering if I can use the replace kit that I ordered to just add capacity or if I can use the replace kit as the primary drive with the existing one just as additional capacity.

Thanks

Unfortunately not. Replacement and add drive kits have completely different software written to the drives.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping it was just a matter of a jumper setting to change from master to slave drive. The replacement will give us much more capacity in any case.

John

Comment

That's the right move. Using an older drive alongside a new one isn't always the greatest idea anyway. If the old drive were to fail, due to the way the formatting works, you'd be down until you could reformat (or have us reformat) the new drive.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X