Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

problem with download images from hisdale instr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with download images from hisdale instr.

I am trying to follow the instructions in section 4 in:
    http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hins...to/index9.html

It says:
    For most model TiVos and most common upgrades you should download Tiger’s Mfs Tools Boot CD 11.5MB containing all necessary utilities (If you have older Series 1 models you should use Mfs Tools Boot Cd (10.3MB)).

The first download which should be a 11.5MB for series 2 is actually a
    download of: MFSLBA-48.zip with is 9.82 MB
    I think that is for series 1.

The second download which shoud be 10.3 MB for series 1 is actually a
    download of: MFSTOOLS20.zip which is 7.22 MB
    I think that is for series 2.

The download info described above is as of 01/10/07. Am I looking at the
    right place?

The "48" download is for Series2.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

which image to use.....?

I'm confused here too-

When i downloaded the Hinsdale boot cd from the site i went for the MFSLBA48.zip file as well since it references this image for series 2 tivos (which is what i have)

but when i booted the LBA48 image it comes up with this header:

* PTVupgrade LBA48 Utility Disk Version 1.0 - Series1 Units Only *

after reading that i thought i downloaded the wrong image.

so i downloaded the mfstool20.zip and that image has a different header and seems like it is newer and there are more posts out there refer to using this image to do these upgrades.

but the mfstool20.zip image is giving me issues with having to specify the file system type and i can't get the tivo.bak file created. (at least not verbatim per the hinsdale guide which i'm following)

i have a Tivo Series 2 TCD240080

and i want to upgrade from a Maxtor 80GB to a new 200GB drive i just bought.

i'm usually very good at following step-by-step instructions like these. but once i saw that header referencing 'SERIES 1 ONLY' i got confused.

so my question is:
      should i be using the LBA48 image to do this upgrade to my series 2 and just ignore the header that comes up when you boot the LBA48 image that states it's for Series 1 only?

OR

should i be using the mfstool20 image and keep looking for some paramaters/options that i must not be entering properly?

OR

or is the weaknees_lba_boot_cd image really the latest and greatest and i should i boot with this image and follow the Hinsdale guide? the weaknees boot cd has all the same tools/functionality and works with the hinsdale guide?

and thanks for all the work on this stuff, this is great stuff and the only option some of us have to save their dead/dying tivo's.

Comment

We'd really recommend using the weaknees_lba_boot_cd - it should work just fine with either guide.

Comment

all set - thanks weaKnees

that's exactly what i did and it worked like a charm.

all it takes is the right boot cd, connect the drives properly and then issue 2 command lines and you're done.

very impressive work on this guys, it's as automated as you're going to find out there.

many, many thanks for sharing it freely with folks like me so we can do our own repairs.

Comment

so where can I get the "weaknees_lba_boot_cd" at?

Comment

Go to the files section here:

http://www.upgrade-instructions.com

Comment

I dont see an option set to upgrade from two smaller drives to a single larger drive.
                HDVR2 with a stock 40GB and an added 120GB( one of them is rarely starting to fail). I want to preserve recordings on both to a larger in total WD caviar(7200 rpm).
                Suggestions using the weaknees bootdisk?

Comment

Working...
                X