Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Directv be converted for Cable TV use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Directv be converted for Cable TV use?

I have a 40-hour TIVO brand Series 2 connected to my cable TV. A friend gave me a Directv SD-DVR40 that needs a new hard drive. Is it possible to use the hard drive from my TIVO and create a mirrored drive that I could then install into the Directv unit, so I could use the Directv unit with my cable TV (I don't have directv, just cable tv). I would use the Directv unit just for doing manual recordings where I specify the starting and ending times and the channel. Is this possible? Thanks!

Unfortunately, this is not possible. You cannot move or mirror the drive or otherwise move the shows from your standalone to the DIRECTV unit. Sorry. Also, the SDDVR cannot be used without a DIRECTV subscription.

Comment

Thanks, Jeff, for the answer. However, I'm not sure I asked the question correctly. Basically, all I want to know is if I can take the SDDVR and replace its hard drive with one that will let me record shows from cable TV.

If replacing the hard drive would not work, then I would assume that there is some circuitry on the motherboard that prevents the SDDVR from receiving and tuning into a signal through my cable wire.

Comment

Sorry for not answering clearly...basically, DIRECTV units cannot be used to record cable signals. The only inputs are satellite feeds.

Comment

Working...
        X