Thanks for bailing me out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for bailing me out!

Hi. I just wanted to thank Weaknees for sharing their easy to use instructions for upgrading the Series 3 and for letting us download the iso boot disk with SATA support. It saved me big time.

I'm a fairly long time TiVo supporter. I have 4 SA Series2's and one Series1, all with Lifetime subs. I have given a few of those to family members. Everytime I buy a 40gb, the first thing I do is to upgrade the drive to 120gb. I've always used the Hinsdale image and instructions. So, I just ASS-U-ME'd the current info was correct since a few places said Series 2/3. But was I ever wrong, (or at least I could not find the right info.)

So, even though the image I was using did show my SATA drive, the instructions never mentioned using sda instead of hda. Everytime I would run the commands, it would hang. I'm sitting there with my computer and my brand new TiVo all opened up, meantime I'm debating whether to give up for the night. Since I have a second computer on hand, Google became my best friend for the night. It took me to these great EASY TO USE directions. So easy in fact, that I was able to write them down since I had no printer attached to my second computer. I downloaded the iso and burned a disk. Followed the backup instructions, and restored to my 500gb disk ($149 at Best Buy this week!). Plugged in my Series 3 HD and I was finally back up and running.

Anyway, I realize there is a pretty big incentive for you (and others) to keep this information away from the general public, so I just want to say thanks. Class act. Especially for those of us not as knowledgable with Linux.
Working...
X