Partition check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partition check?

My PC boots and spews forth the usual bunch of Linux and hardware system information. The old disk drive is appears as hda, and is recognized with the proper model information and expected size. The new, bigger disk appears as hde, and is recognized with the proper model information and size. So far so good.

The machine appears to be "stuck" at the following:

Partition check:
    hda: (blinking cursor)

Here are my questions: Is weaknees Linux actually checking the partition? If so, why is it checking the partition on my OLD drive? Is there a way to skip past this check on my old drive?

Also, is weaknees Linux going to check the partition on the new drive as well? How long does this take on a virginal 400 gigabyte drive?

If these questions are answered elsewhere, I'd appreciate if you'd point me in the right direction.

Many thanks,

--mark

Originally posted by markcappel View Post
    My PC boots and spews forth the usual bunch of Linux and hardware system information. The old disk drive is appears as hda, and is recognized with the proper model information and expected size. The new, bigger disk appears as hde, and is recognized with the proper model information and size. So far so good.

The machine appears to be "stuck" at the following:

Partition check:
    hda: (blinking cursor)

Here are my questions: Is weaknees Linux actually checking the partition? If so, why is it checking the partition on my OLD drive? Is there a way to skip past this check on my old drive?

Also, is weaknees Linux going to check the partition on the new drive as well? How long does this take on a virginal 400 gigabyte drive?

If these questions are answered elsewhere, I'd appreciate if you'd point me in the right direction.

Many thanks,

--mark
    This message comes from the Linux kernel when it attempts to read and parse the partition table on the disk. The fact that it is hanging there indicates that there may be a problem reading the partition table. You won't be able to do much with the disk if the partition table can't be read.

I would suggest you run the manufaturers low level non-destructive diagnostic program on the drive and do a full surface scan.

Comment

Partition check?

Thank you for your reply. Both disks seem in good health, and I do not believe a low-level check is necessary.

I searched with Google to see if this has come up before. It has. The magic needed to avoid the hanging partition check when booting from the weaknees Linux ISO is to enter linux ide=nodma at the linux boot prompt. When I do so, the PC boots linux normally, sees the connected hard disks, and leaves me at a command prompt, where I can enter mfsbackup -Tao etc.

If it matters, the PC I used for the data transplant is an old Dell Dimension XPS T600, which is driven by a Pentium II or III (I can't recall which) operating at 600 MHz. I do not know which manufacturer is responsible for my Dell's motherboard.

Comment

Working...
      X