dd copy error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dd copy error?

I have a Hughes SD-DVR40 DirecTivo who's hard drive has been failing. I tried making a backup image and then restoring it on the new WD 160GB hard drive I bought, but it did not work. Due to having an infant around the house, I haven't had time to play around with it the last couple of months. But I am tired of the R15 piece of junk DirecTV sent me, so . . .

A friend who went through this process suggested that I try using 'dd copy' (option 3 in step 7). I did so, and the process seems to have completed - the number of records in (22395+2) matches the number of records out (22395+2). BUT above that it says "dd: reading '/dev/hdc': Input/output error"

Does that mean the dd copy didn't work and I should try it again? Should I use the suggested line in the Hinsdale instructions (dd conv=noerror,sync if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hdb bs=1024k)? (My friend said he had to run dd 4 times.) Or is my original TiVo drive now gone?

Thanks in advance for any help!

It sounds like you have a pretty decent number of errors; you might try looking online for "dd rescue" or getting it from the CD at upgrade-instructions.com.

Generally, though, you might be fighting an uphill battle.

Comment

Working...
    X