Upgrade for Series 2 with dual drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade for Series 2 with dual drives

I currently have two Series 2 Tivos, 240140 and 240080. I upgraded both about two years ago by adding second drives - leaving the original in place. I used 120G drives as the second drive in each using a weaknees upgrade kit on both.
    I would like to upgrade both drives in each Tivo. Can I do this without loosing the current programming? If so, how big of drives can I use?

You'd have to use new drives at least as large as each of the old drives if you want to save the programming. You can find full info on how to do that here or you can contact us if you'd like us to do it.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the link - but how do I upgrade 2 drives to two new drives if I must use the CD to boot into linux? Only have 2 IDE ports. Do I copy each drive seperately or do I use another technique?

Comment

Each IDE port can handle two devices.

Comment

Since the CD-ROM requires one of those four to boot into Linux using the Weaknees CD - isn't there only three spaces left for four drives - or am I missing something?

Comment

You have a few options then. You can use a PCI card to get more IDE ports. You can figure out a way to boot from a floppy or a USB drive. Or you can do a dd and copy each drive on a separate boot.

Comment

Thanks for the help. My Tivo drive crashed before I could transfer. I used my second Tivo and transfered the two 120G drives in it to one 500G drive and then added the second 500G drive. Of course I did not retain my programming from the second Tivo transfering that way. It didn't make much difference since I had to run "erase everything" anyway. I went through guided setup and found it has MUCH enhanced since I performed my setup years ago!
              Ordering my third Tivo tommorrow, Jan. 31, through weaKnees (Series 3) so I can transfer my lifetime warranty.
              Thanks Again

Comment

Glad you got it back up and running!

Comment

Working...
                X