Replacing HD on Directv R10 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing HD on Directv R10 ???

Hi there, I have a R10 unit in which the Hard Drive went bad. I bought a used R10 unit and it's in good shape, but here's the kicker...the original owner had an outstanding bill due to Directv, so unless I want to pay her bill I can't use the new box.

So, does anyone know if I could use the Hard Drive out of the new one I just bought and put it in my old unit? They are both R10, but the only thing I don't know is if her account info follows the Hard Drive or just her receiver (unit)? I called Directv and they told me that if I buy a new one to check the Directv unit number on the back of the box and they'd tell me if it was good or not. Well, does the Hard Drive know what that unit number is?

I know this all sounds crazy, but I want to just pop the new Hard Drive in to my old unit, but I'm afraid that all her stuff will still follow me (account info/unit number/past bill/etc.) and I won't just get a new Hard Drive.

Anyone got any ideas or experience with anything like this?
    Thanks!!!

You have run into the major problem with buying used DIRECTV equipment: It cannot always be re-activated. We routinely get calls from people who have bought used stuff on eBay and can't activate it (either because of delinquent bills or because the box was leased, not owned, by the prior user).

In your case, it is the receiver identification number that is tied to the delinquent account. That RID is tied to a chip on the motherboard.

That means that you CAN move the drive from the new unit into your old unit. After moving the drive, choose 'clear and delete everything' from the System Reset menu and you should be fine.

Comment

thanks for the insight.
      I'm going to try this tonight.

Comment

Working...
      X