Series 3 Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 3 Concerns

I'm teetering on whether or not to pick up a S3 tomorrow and transfer my lifetime sub off of my series 2 box. Most of the two way communication issues are not a big deal to me. The only sticking point I ran into is Switched Digital Video and what the future of cable and SDV is. Maybe I'm being far too paranoid about it, but I get pretty nervous spending the money on the S3 when cable companies would be able to switch over at some point in the near future (at least some channels) and I would miss out.

I know I could still get all of the OTA, but realistically what are the chances of losing a fair amount of channels due to cable companies switching to SDV? I really want to talk myself into buying one, but at the same time I'm very hesitant b/c of this. I'm assuming a S4 would fix these problems assuming standards are set for CC2.0, but I also don't want to miss out on TiVo'ing HD programming for 2 years. With these hesitations am I best off to wait for the Comcast DVR and hope there will be another transfer available when the S4 comes out, or am I worrying far too much about nothing?

To be honest, we haven't even heard rumors of an S4, so that could be a long, long way off. There's always some better technology on or over the horizon. If you can wait, great, but if you want the (pretty excellent) HD quality now, you might as well get one soon and start enjoying it.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X