Command Syntax confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Command Syntax confusion

I have been researching as much as possible before I commit to the upgrade of a single DT240040 to a single 120GB HD. Most user problems that I have read about often involve misreading the command syntax or entering it incorrectly. I do not feel like making the same mistakes.

I wish that those who post command instructions would make it a point to specify that a "1" is a "numeric one" and not a capital letter "EYE". Also, space or no space makes a BIG difference.

Why can't deliniators be specified so that there is no mistaking? Many, many years ago when I was a Cobol programmer before on-line entry a - "space" (or blank) was specifically coded "Spaces" so keypunchers didn't have to guess. It's no fun debugging a huge Cobol program to find out that it was a keypunch error and not a coding error.

Having no Linux command information or experience, I am concerned that "1so" (in the weaknees documentation)is not intended to be "Iso".????

If I understood what "1so" meant then I would be asking this dumb question. But from what I have read on various forums - many are only looking for a reliable set of step by step instructions that doesn't require an understanding of Linux commands.

The weaknees documentation also notes that the System FAT PC drive would be referenced as hdW, (almost always 'hda'). Then I see a command with "hdW1" i.e. [mount /dev/hdW1 /mnt].

So I take it, that differentiates the first hda from the second hda or two primary master drives?

Guess I have to keep reading............
    Last edited by CJL1106; 02-02-2007, 07:23 AM. Reason: typo

Eye, One or ELL ??

Just done more researching found information about Bash Linux. Is the Command that looks like "1so" actually an "ELL" (not Eye=I or One=1). L - yea, "L" that's for LIST and would make sense. My guess is as good as anybodies.

This IS NOT intended to be a bash-ing (no pun intended) of weaknees. EVERYONE who posts these TIVO commands does the same thing. Assumes your screen characters and print fonts and characters are exactly what the author sees.

Comment

Actually, the -1so command uses, in fact, the number . . . you can increase the number up to 9 to get more compression, but it's not worth the time delay.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thank you -

Thank you for the correction - I will use 1so.

I am still confused by the hdW1.
        If my Win98 "C" drive is setup as primary Master
        That's hda in the command line - isn't it?
        What's hdW"ONE" suggesting ?

Thank you.

Comment

Got the answer elsewhere.........

The "1" in weaKnees command "mount /dev/hdw1 /mnt"
          refers to the 1st partition of that drive
          (or the same as hda1 in most cases).

Given that the average home-computer user doesn't partition hard drives, the "1" is essentially unnecessary and redundant. If you only have a single partition for your Windows system (Win98, WinMe) Fat32 drive, then addding the "1" is redundant. I have seen identical commands (for processing the original TIVO "Backup") on other websites where the "1" is not used or even referenced.

Quite by accident while continuing to research this issue/question on another website I came a across a discussion where the moderator was explaining that the first partition might not have enough space for the backup and suggested trying hda2, hda3 etc. - and thus the "lights went on".

While all sites present the interpretation of hd"x" relative to the IDE connections - do you think someone might include that a number after a hard drive reference is for multiple partitioned hard drives only and is NOT necessary if your hard drive has but a single partition????

Comment

Working...
          X