R 10 Freezing and Pixilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R 10 Freezing and Pixilation

I have a DirecTV R 10 that I got from eBay. About every 5 minutes or so, the screen will freeze and then pixilate. I replaced the hard drive (a new 250 gig drive) and the problem remained. I bought another R 10 off of eBay and hooked it up and it worked flawlessly. I then took the replacement hard drive out of the first R 10 and put into the second R 10 just to see if it had the problem in the other unit, but it didn't. So I concluded it was not a hard drive problem in the first place. Everything I have read says that 98% of freezing and pixilation problems are the hard drive. So what else could give me that problem?
    Last edited by digleadok; 02-02-2007, 05:17 PM.

I feel for you

I wish I had read your post before I did the same thing. My unit was brand new from Directv right out of the box it started needing reset every couple of weeks with the drop outs and such. Its been about a year now it has gotten worse its every third day or more now. I too replaced the hard drive just one hour ago and its already dropping out and pixcelating 4-5 times in the first hour. Does anybody have any suggestions? mike

Comment

It is absolutely true that 98% of these problems are related to drives...but we definitely keep open that painful 2%, which can be caused by defective chips on the motherboard, for example. It is extremely rare (relative to drive problems), but it does happen. Typically, if you lose audio for long periods but your video continues, then it might not be drive related. Also, if you have pixellation 100% of the time, then that can also be related to something other than the drive.

Comment

R10 freezing and pixelation

Apparently this is a much more common problem than the 98% rule would seem to indicate. I too have just replaced an R10 drive with a replacement from this site, only to continue having the problem. I was told that just about any other component in the DVR chain can ALSO be at the root of this problem. Had I known that eariler, I probably would have just gotten a new DVR from the DirecTV folks to begin with. Are these units just junk or what?

Comment

We see the problems here - if people have problems, they show up. Personally, I have to say, these units are the best DirecTV TiVo model ever produced. I'm sorry to hear about the problems these posters have had, but the R10 is really a great unit.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I was told it was the power supply that needed replacing. so i replaced it. It worked 2 weeks and then started to freeze all over again. I ts a real shame when money is wasted on repair parts when it seems the answer is to replace the whole unit. I hope for a solution as well

dedrep1

Comment

Where were you told that?
              Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
              X