2 DVR's SWM8 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 DVR's SWM8 Problem

I just had a SWM8 installed with 2 DVR's and 3 additional HD boxes. 1 DVR works great. Can watch 2 different recorded shows at the same time as advertised. The other DVR, as soon as I try to watch 1 recorded show all other shows on that recorder are blocked on all other tv.s except the one that is directly connected to. Direct TV guys have no idea where to start. HR20 was replaced with an HR24 with same result. power supply is behind the DVR that works properly. Not sure if the wiring is correct The SWM8 looks different from all the other ones that I have seen. Please help if you have any idea whats going on here or let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks in advance, jmnjjl

What looks different about it? Can you post a picture? What are the model numbers of all of the receivers? What is the exact model number and brand of the SWM8?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The direct TV installer added a Zinwell MSPLIT8R0-03 8-Way Wide Band Splitter and SWM power supply. There is an existing Zinwell MS6X8WB-Z 6x8 Multiswitch but I am not sure if the splitter is looped through the multiswitch as I did not watch him hook it up. Any wires that were not connected to the splitter were left on the multiswitch. I do not see a SWM8 in the attic but he did change the head on the dish. I am guessing that's where the SWM is. Sorry still learning. The receivers are HR24-500, HR22-100, H21-100, H22-100 and D12-700 for a small kitchen TV. The HR24-500 is where I am having the problem. There was an HR20-100 in that spot with the same problem so he replaced it with the HR24-500 yesterday. The HR22-100 is where the SWM power supply is connected behind. I was not sure if a power supply is needed behind each DVR. He told me only one was needed. I just need a direction to start troubleshooting.

Thanks for any info jmnjjl

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjjl View Post
        The direct TV installer added a Zinwell MSPLIT8R0-03 8-Way Wide Band Splitter and SWM power supply. There is an existing Zinwell MS6X8WB-Z 6x8 Multiswitch but I am not sure if the splitter is looped through the multiswitch as I did not watch him hook it up. Any wires that were not connected to the splitter were left on the multiswitch. I do not see a SWM8 in the attic but he did change the head on the dish. I am guessing that's where the SWM is. Sorry still learning. The receivers are HR24-500, HR22-100, H21-100, H22-100 and D12-700 for a small kitchen TV. The HR24-500 is where I am having the problem. There was an HR20-100 in that spot with the same problem so he replaced it with the HR24-500 yesterday. The HR22-100 is where the SWM power supply is connected behind. I was not sure if a power supply is needed behind each DVR. He told me only one was needed. I just need a direction to start troubleshooting.

Thanks for any info jmnjjl

what you probably have now is a swm system with a swm head... the wires on the multi switch maybe the second wires for the dvr's....not used now...

do you have ethernet hooked to the recvrs????

you only need one power inserter for the system...

probably on the input of the 6x8 you dont have any wires on it or you are missing one wire now hooked to the swm input on the splitter
        Last edited by ebmsjml; 07-10-2010, 10:13 AM. Reason: ad on

Comment

All receivers have DECA adapters except the H24 and the HR24 which are built in. I have a Linksys Wireless G 802 router for computer Wi-Fi but one of the diagrams I have seen shows a DECA wired directly from the splitter to the router. This I don't have. Could that be the problem ? Maybe I should disconnect all wiring from the splitter and make sure they are all correct. Don't know where to start at this point.

Thanks for any info. jmnjjl

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjjl View Post
            All receivers have DECA adapters except the H24 and the HR24 which are built in. I have a Linksys Wireless G 802 router for computer Wi-Fi but one of the diagrams I have seen shows a DECA wired directly from the splitter to the router. This I don't have. Could that be the problem ? Maybe I should disconnect all wiring from the splitter and make sure they are all correct. Don't know where to start at this point.

Thanks for any info. jmnjjl

copy & paste below in your browser ...diagram of deca wiring

http://www.weaknees.com/images/deca/...v-internet.jpg

if you remove any wires from your splitter, mark them first... the dish has to be on the red port, (from swm) ... & the power inserter needs to be on the other red port
            Last edited by ebmsjml; 07-10-2010, 12:22 PM.

Comment

After some further trouble shooting I have found that I can watch two recorded programs at the same time. The problem is that one of them always has to be a DVR. Is this normal ? This makes no sense to me because if I had 1 DVR and 10 HD boxes I would always have to be watching 1 show on the DVR.
              This kind of defeats the purpose of the SWM for me.

Comment

With MRV, that's right. Essentially, the DVR can only stream one show at a time to one other unit at a time. So if you want to watch two shows from a DVR at the same time, one can't be streamed, i.e., it must be local.
                Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Do you need a DECA connected to the router like the figure shows cause I don't have that and don't have internet

Comment

You only need a DECA connected to the router if you want Internet access to your DVRs.

Comment

Working...
                    X