Who will buy TiVo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will buy TiVo?

Google, Cisco, Yahoo, DIRECTV, DISH Network, cable company?

It's pretty interesting that TiVo, with a half-billion dollar (on any given day) market cap hasn't been snapped up, while You Tube commands $1.65billion.

Some speculate that TiVo's continued run without a deal is attributable to ego. In a speech (if I recall, I was there and it was at CES, but my memory isn't so great), Tom Rogers once analogized TiVo to Sirius and XM, insinuating that TiVo's market cap should be in the $5 billion+ range. That was about 2 years ago now.

What happens if DIRECTV is sold to Liberty media? Will that make TiVo ripe for a DIRECTV deal? DIRECTV, of all companies, knows the value that TiVo brings to the table...but is TiVo tainted goods because of its deals with Comcast and Cox?

Name your buyer here....and forever be immortalized if you are right.

Actually, I don't think it'll happen, but there's a lot of speculation out there that Apple is the company that will buy TiVo. Now they've already done a preview of their iTV product, so it seems a bit less likely, but their customer bases certainly overlap. Both companies spend a lot of time on interface design, and definitely have a lot pride in their products (some might say ego).

Again, I don't think it'll happen with Apple, but the rumors are out there.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Apple buying Tivo...

will never happen. Apple is focused on the customer experience. Tivo is focused on maximizing revenue. Tivo's software has two or three deal-killers with their software. The biggest is the lack of any index to upcoming shows. Imagine if you had to search iTunes one show at a time.

Then add all of the emerging non-broadcast TV video (such as YouTube). Tivo needs to address this. Apple knows how to. If they buy anyone, it will be a company that makes the cable or satellite interface.

Comment

Genericide

I think a huge question for TiVo is genericide of their trademark through its common use as a verb.

The company will have to spend $$$ to correct the impression that recording a TV show on a DVR is "TiVo-ing", as well as on a proactive campaign to market itself as "TiVo brand recording service". If not, their exclusive rights to the word "TiVo" could be disallowed by the courts and any DVR manufacturer will be able to market their box and service as "TiVo". (Think of the DIRECTV R15 POS labeld as a "TiVo").

That risk to their intellectual property portfolio could be a stumbling block to the valuation of the company in any buy out talks.

Comment

I'm new, I have DirectTV, but a friend has Dish HD, no DVR. He was told by Dish that TIVO, will not work with Dish. I believe that to be alot of Bull. Thanks.

Comment

Right - standalone, Series2 TiVos will, in fact, work with DISH.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X