Series 3 and Weaknees Seagate 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 3 and Weaknees Seagate 750

I am interested in purchasing one of the Weaknees Seagate 750gb D3 drives for my Series 3 Tivo. I understand the original OEM Series 3 drive uses a Western Digital proprietary “Secure connect” SATA & power connector.

Does the Weaknees Seagate drive have the same type connector? What if anything, do they supply with the drive to properly mate it to the Tivo?

Originally posted by avpman View Post
    Does the Weaknees Seagate drive have the same type connector? What if anything, do they supply with the drive to properly mate it to the Tivo?
    From personal experience, installing two of my own upgrades, it uses the standard SATA and power connector.
    The "secure connect" is a connector which includes both the IDE cable and the power cable in one connector. It will work on any SATA drive. The "secure connector" is included with your TiVo.

If all you are doing is buying an upgrade, all you would need to do is unplug the old drive, leave the connector in place, replace the drive, reconnect to the new drive.

The "problem" only occurs if you want to do the software upgrade youself. Your PC needs to support SATA, either through the Motherboard, or through an add-on SATA adapter card.

So, since this is not an issue for you, there is nothing needed except for the drive they send you. Everything else is already in your current TiVo.

Comment

Originally posted by pl1 View Post
      From personal experience, installing two of my own upgrades, it uses the standard SATA and power connector.
      The "secure connect" is a connector which includes both the IDE cable and the power cable in one connector. It will work on any SATA drive. The "secure connector" is included with your TiVo.

If all you are doing is buying an upgrade, all you would need to do is unplug the old drive, leave the connector in place, replace the drive, reconnect to the new drive.

The "problem" only occurs if you want to do the software upgrade youself. Your PC needs to support SATA, either through the Motherboard, or through an add-on SATA adapter card.

So, since this is not an issue for you, there is nothing needed except for the drive they send you. Everything else is already in your current TiVo.

Thanks for the reply. You did the upgrade specfically to a Series 3? I'm only asking since you mentioned above that the Secure Connect included the IDE & Power. I assuume you meant SATA & power? I know the Series 2 machines use IDE and the Series 3 use SATA.

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post
        Thanks for the reply. You did the upgrade specfically to a Series 3? I'm only asking since you mentioned above that the Secure Connect included the IDE & Power. I assuume you meant SATA & power? I know the Series 2 machines use IDE and the Series 3 use SATA.
        Yes. S3. They are both IDE. SATA stands for SERIAL-ATA (vs. PATA or Parallel-ATA). These are the types of connectors. But they are still IDE drives.

Comment

Working...
        X