X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power supply or Motherboard?

Background:
    Series 2 TCD240080
    A couple of weeks ago we were hooking the unit up to a new TV. The unit is plugged into a surge protector strip which is plugged into a wall outlet that was loose. (The outlet has been replaced) When the power cord moved, the power would interrupt and reset the unit. This happened several times during the setup of the new TV.
    The last time this happened, the unit hung up on the gray “Powering up screen”.

We did some searching online and found the “Pause 52” and “Pause 57” commands.
    The 52 command worked and got us back to TiVo Central. However, we got the “Hardware message” which suggested we restart the unit. The unit would not restart and we went to the 52 command again. We went through this cycle several times. Sometimes the unit would hang up on the gray power up screen, sometimes on the “Almost there just a few more minutes.”

Since the hard drive had developed a bearing whine, and from the other post, I figured it was time to replace the drive. TiVo offered the $149 exchange for a factory refurbished unit but I opted for the Weaknees $139 Upgrade kit to a160 GB drive. Figured if I was going to spend the money, I might as well get a larger drive.

Reslts:
    Installed the new drive with a new 80 wire cable and continued to have the same problem.
    After spending several hours attempting to reboot, attempting to use the 52 and 57 commands things got worse. The 52 and 57 commands appeared to have no effect.
    The lights would go green on the left and yellow on the right but the displayed was stuck on the gray powering up screen. After this started happening, I listened closely to the unit and could not hear the hard drive attempting to read or write. In my frustration, I created my own power serge by unplugging and quickly plugging the unit in before it powered down.

Wow after hours of frozen gray screen, the unit booted up. Naturally the hardware message reappeared and recommended restarting the unit. I did, and it locked up again on the gray powering up screen. With nothing to lose, I jump started the power again and the unit rebooted and is running.
    However, since the unit believes that there is a hardware problem, I have limited use of the features and no program guide. The unit is also reporting that I need to activate my subscription.

So sorry for the long post, and finally to my question
    Is it the power supply or the mother board?

Really, that could be either the power supply or the motherboard. We can sell you a new power supply for you to try, or you can put the original drive back and pay TiVo for the repair. The first option is a bit less expensive (and much faster), but less definitive.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks Michael!

I wanted to confirm that it wasn't definitely the motherboard before I tried the power supply.

I will post my findings when the new power supply is installed.

Comment

Installed the new power supply and all the problems are solved.

Comment

Working...
        X