Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo and DirecTV question

Hello All!

I'm new here, but have been digging through the forums to find an answer to this question.

Let me lay this all out; We currently have DirecTV service with one of their HR24 boxes. We've had them for a little over three years now. The fan in the unit died, and while I would love to have them come out and replace it I know that we will lose all the programs stored on the DVR (we've been through this with them before; they won't move the contents to the new unit). I was looking to just replace the fan myself, but as I sat on the floor pulling the unit out of the entertainment center I was thinking about how much I don't like their DVR. Now, I know that there is currently no HD DVR solution out there for DirecTV but one is "coming soon". Our current TV doesn't actually "do" high definition, so there isn't much point to this device for us.

So, here is my question... If I have a low end DirecTV tuner (non-HD, non-DVR), can I hook TiVO up to it and have it record programming? I ask because I have two Series 2 DVR's gathering dust on the shelf in the basement, and I would love nothing more than to be able to use them again. I miss my TiVO. I know it won't be HD, and don't care. We don't watch a ton of TV, but it would be awesome to not have to use the DirecTV gear (which I hate).

Thanks for reading this.

Yes, you should be able to do that without a problem.

Comment

Hmm... oddly enough it didn't notify me about a reply to my post.

How would the Tivo handle the channel guide? I'm thinking that I can treat the DirecTV box as a "cable box" and have Tivo change the channels?

One other question: the fan in this DVR is dead. Do you carry a replacement for it? I see you have one for other DirecTV DVRs, but didn't see one for the HR-24.

Comment

Series2 TiVo DVRs can handle the channel guide for DirecTV no problem - you'll see the option during setup.

We don't sell fans for the HR24. Sorry.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          Series2 TiVo DVRs can handle the channel guide for DirecTV no problem - you'll see the option during setup.

We don't sell fans for the HR24. Sorry.
          Excellent, glad to hear that!

Bummer on the fan though. I currently have a small 10" fan cooling the unit. If I don't use that, it overheats and shuts down.

Comment

Working...
          X