Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does weaknees_lba_boot_cd.iso support boot from usb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does weaknees_lba_boot_cd.iso support boot from usb?

My PC has a single ide channel, so I have my old and new hard drives installed on the IDE bus, and I'm booting from USB cdrom. While booting from the weaknees iso, I see the IDE drives mounted (as /dev/hdg and /dev/hdh), but soon after I see the cdrom fails to mount. After five tries, I get a prompt. At the prompt almost nothing works -- 'ls' gives command not found, 'mfsrestore' gives command not found, etc. 'cd' and 'echo' work kind of -- echo $path gives a blank line.

Yes, my SATA drives are disabled, I disabled onboard audio, etc.

(I was able to make this work with mfstools 2.0, except that my 320gb disk came out as 137gb. mfslive mounted the cdrom OK, but wouldn't mount the hard drives.)

Any suggestions?

We really haven't tried that, but based on what you're seeing, that sounds right. Even without the mount, though, you can probably run an LBA48 aware version of the mfstool software off a floppy, having booted from the CD.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Could you be more specific? Where do I find LBA48 aware mfstools that will fit on a floppy? When booting from CD (which iso?), will the floppy automatically be mounted? I think you're saying that mfsbackup and mfsrestore would be be on the floppy; what would my backup & restore command look like? (I use Unix every day at work, but never have to mount drives, etc.)

Thanks.

Comment

The LBA48 issue is one of the Linux boot kernel. So if you boot off of our CD, you have it. The mfstool software can be run from a floppy - it doesn't change for different versions of Linux.

The specific backup and restore commands are here:

http://www.upgrade-instructions.com
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X