dd command on 250g drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dd command on 250g drives

I'm attempting to move my existing A&B drives to new same sized A&B's while preserving all the recordings. I was able to dd copy the B drive which is 120g Maxtors. However, when attempting the same dd copy on the A drives (both WD 250g), nothing happens.

Prior to this, I tried the mfsbackup and restore commands using all four drives and the floppy boot. It returned an error saying restore failed, which is why I moved on to the dd method.

I have previously used the Hinsdale method to go from the original 40g drive to a second drive, then from those A&B's to what I am now using.

I've run diagnostics, an all drives appear to be fine.

Any thoughts as to what might be preventing me from making the A to A dd copy?

ddrescue

I had a similar problem and tried dd_rescue. An older version already existed on my utility cdrom that didn't get the job done. I finally downloaded the newest version and ran it with an old Knoppix CD.

By the way, I was replacing a failing hard drive and it would have taken 3 or 4 days to transfer every block at the rate it was going. I read a tip on a forum somewhere that recommended transferring the "old drive" to an image file on the local drive and then transfer the image file to the "new drive". This worked well for me as it only took about 6 hours total.

John...

Comment

If mfsbackup didn't work and you had to move to the 'dd' option, then likely you have a failed hard drive. Sometimes 'dd' works where mfsbackup does not, but if the drive is too far gone, you just can't get a copy.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

as it turns out, I was able to use dd_rescue and copy the whole shebang-- although it took near 24 hours for the 250 gigs.

Comment

Excellent! Congrats!
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X