Two drive to one saving recordings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two drive to one saving recordings?

I've been digging around through the guide and through here a bit, and I'm not quite sure if this is possible, and/or which commands would apply. Scoop in short: AT&T 130040 S2 with original drive plus Weaknees 120gb added a few years back. One of the two is dying (freezes and the click of death).

I was thinking of replacing the two with a single 300gb. Is it possible to do this and save existing recordings/season passes/all that stuff? The guide seems to imply so, but the command is a bit fuzzy.

In this case, I'm assuing I would put new drive on primary master, cdr on primary slave, and two existing drives on secondary master and slave accordingly. This is where the guide gets a bit fuzzy. It appears to recommend issuing a backup command, then a restore. The question is, backup to where as the only other drive in place is the new one?

Is there an inline command to transfer data from the two existing drives to the new drive along with saving recordings? I found a thread on doing without saving, but in this case there's alot I'd really like to save. If not, what would be the best option to achieve this?

You could either do it, but not get the extra space, or you could transfer everything but the actual recordings (you'd get settings, Season Passes, and WishLists) and get the extra space.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I guess I'm in the same boat. RCA DVR40 plus 160 GB that I want to put to a single larger.

Is there anything wrong with this logic?

1) Transfer shows from 2 drives to a new drive (and not claim extra space) so I can tape to VHS or burn to DVD player.

2) Start over and format the drive and just treat as a new upgrade to regain the space.

I'm not sure what choices to use in the Interactive Instructions to accomplish the first step. On Step 2, is it replace with one drive?

Comment

Originally posted by anonymuse View Post
        I guess I'm in the same boat. RCA DVR40 plus 160 GB that I want to put to a single larger.

Is there anything wrong with this logic?

1) Transfer shows from 2 drives to a new drive (and not claim extra space) so I can tape to VHS or burn to DVD player.

2) Start over and format the drive and just treat as a new upgrade to regain the space.

I'm not sure what choices to use in the Interactive Instructions to accomplish the first step. On Step 2, is it replace with one drive?
        Why would you want to do both of these? Why not just go to VHS/DVD from the current setup, then lose the recordings when you install the new drive?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X