Just added 750Gb drive to 80Gb standalone Samsung 4080r...only sees 187hrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just added 750Gb drive to 80Gb standalone Samsung 4080r...only sees 187hrs

I have a Samsung 4080r with a original 80gb hdd......just added 750Gb hdd as a second drive...went through procedure for mirroring the two.....it works with both drives or appears to be but only sees in system settings....variable 187hrs....can anyone help....thanks

As a second drive? Did you use MFSADD?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

yes....i used the mfsadd command.... mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/hdX /dev/hdZ

Comment

and yes had a 80hr drive for original and then bought at 750Gb drive to add to the original.....like to preserve my previous recordings but will do whatever gets me with the full capacity being been in tivo.

Comment

Sounds like you did it with a floppy boot disk or a CD that had an older kernel. Try our CD from here:

http://www.upgrade-instructions.com

You can just run that command again and it should see the remaining space.

Comment

tryed with that version of MFStools followed the directions....to be honest couldnt get the backup commad to work using the commands listed didnt find a device called hdW1......but that was for just the backup I guess.....i did the mfsadd and it stated that no action was neccesary.....stated the it sae 243 hrs....but thats far from what I would expect to see for my original 80gb drive plus my second additional 750Gb drive......any suggestions?

Comment

still seeing same variable 187hrs in settings on tivo..........i did verify with mfstools that the correct sizes were seen....during initial setup screen where the instructions advises you to look....im at a lost.....any ideas....

Comment

If you got no extra space needed, then you are probably still in the wrong kernel. What kernel are you using? What size does your 750 show on boot?

Comment

Here is where I downloaded the file........

Download the Boot CD image of MFSTool 2.0 here with WeaKnees Large Kernel Support:

http://www.weaknees.com/weaknees_lba_boot_cd.iso

I was booted into the kernel Im assumming because the only prompt I have is boot:....which I press enter.....then Im at what I would consider a linux prompt.....at that point I proceed to use the mfsadd command.....after that it advises me that the command is not necc......shows me 243 hrs....

I would love to save my 80hrs of recordings......but if you know of a quick way to get around this problem by reformatting...then making the hdds bootable....then having the total space seen.....sign me up.....Im a somewhat
                  technical guy who knows linux a little but this has me stumped of why the
                  full space is not being seen......can this be a hdd firmware problem.......i used
                  HD 750G/ST 7K 16M ATA100 ST3750640A.....Tivo- Samsung 4080r.....even if I have to use only the 750GB drive that ok.....just want most of the space seen....only seeing 243hrs in MFStools after doing mfsadd command......but remember during the instructions at the beginning it asks that you verify that MFS tools is seeing your drive size correctly and it sees the full drive space of both drives......its just after the mfsadd command....it appears to marry the two but only sees 243hrs after........and in system settings for tivo it shows listed as variable 187hrs...this is with the tivo at/above the 6.02 required level. Help please.......

Comment

one additional question as well.....during the process of going through the instructions....the backup command appeared to fail........My primary drive is
                    hda and added second drive is hdb....cdrom is hdc........I used the following command adding in the hda and hdb.....wasnt able to complete successfully..I just never minded this since it wasnt required but want to know how to get it to work in case I need to backup the data to put in on single 750Gb drive........the following command was used

mount /dev/hdW1 /mnt (here what is hdW1...is stated no device)

Then issue the backup command (remember to replace hdX as appropriate):

mfsbackup -f 9999 -1so /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hdX ( here Im assumming hdX is hda in my case where hda was my original tivo drive with the data)

If you can answer this as well....it would be great....thank you.

Comment

Can Someone Help With This..........please.......?

Comment

You shouldn't need to mount anything to do the mfsadd. Here is what should do the trick:

Code:
                        mfsadd -x /dev/hdX /dev/hdY
                        Just be sure to replace the X and the Y with the correct drive designations - likely c and d.

Comment

yes....thats the command I used to marry the two which was successful but my question that you were responding to was how to do a backup of my data in case I get tired of trying with two drives.....Im will looking to backup my current recordings.....then format the new 750Gb hdd.....then make the 750Gb bootable for tivo.....then restore from that backup......thats the process Im also failing at in addition to not being able to get these two drives to work so if you can advise what Im doing wrong with the command for backing up the data....that would be great......below is again what Im using from the document you pointed me to for doing the upgrade which instructs you how to backup data.....you may want to take a look at the doc...maybe something is off...heres the command it advises to use....

Notes hda is my original tivo and hdb is the second drive Im trying to add)

Can you tell me what the exact commands below would look like considering the above to be true.....hda -primary....hdb -secondary hdd being added

[Imount /dev/hdW1 /mnt (here what is hdW1...is stated no device)

Then issue the backup command (remember to replace hdX as appropriate):

mfsbackup -f 9999 -1so /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hdX ( here Im assumming hdX is hda in my case where hda was my original tivo drive with the data

Comment

Can Someone Help With This..........please.......? Guys these are your instructions......can someone provide the simple answers that Im asking for......if you have my primary drive as hda and secondary drive being added as hdb.......what would be the command with those values for doing a backup of the data.........?

Comment

hello...can anyone help.....Im about to wrap the old thing up and send it back to you guys......this is becoming the worse response time I've ever delt with...

Comment

Working...
                              X