Upgraded my DSR-6000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded my DSR-6000

My DRS6000 was getting really long in the tooth and making some horrible sounds. The OS had started running really slowly. Finally, it had been unable to phone in since I switched to VoIP (the "you haven't dialed in in 450 days" thing was getting annoying). It's like 5 or 6 years old so it didn't really owe me anything. I'd buy a new unit, but the lifetime subscription is attached to the hardware, not the subscriber.

So I decided to rebuild and upgrade it. I ordered a new (larger) drive, a new fan (might as well while it's open) and a modem kit. Whole upgrade process took half an hour. A bit of compressed air blasted the dust out. A bit more poking around to find a vonage happy phone number, and my DSR6000 is better than new.

I had no idea how valuable the extra storage is. It changes the way you use your Tivo.

Thanks.

Glad to hear it!

Just to be totally clear, with DirecTV units, the lifetime sub is considered to be part of the account at this point. So if you did swap it out (or added another unit) there would still be no DVR fee.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Now only if there were an HR10-250 for less that $1200...

Comment

We're always hoping that our cost will go down significantly, but that just doesn't seem to be in the cards at this point.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X