First time update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time update

I've had my S2-649080DT for about a month or two now and have decided that if I want to record at a decent quality I need to upgrade my storage. I'm going to a 400GB drive. I've been pouring over all the sites I can and these forums and that has left me with a couple questions:

1) I noticed the sata iso is newer and has bug fixes/upgrades which include the swap space fix. I saw in a post that this iso would work witha S2. Does this mean I won't have to run the tpip command? In which case I would use an argument of -s 200. If I do need to run tpip, what is the command and arguments I should use? I've seen a few different versions out there and don't want to mess it up.

2) What command can I issue to see the size of the partitions when I'm done? A standard df command or something else?

As an aside/suggestion, I think this tpip thing should be noted in the upgrade section. I just stumbled across it as most people seem to. A simple question asking what size hard drive you were upgrading too would allow a flag to be set to output the necessary information. My upgrade instructions told me to use -s 127, which won't be sufficient (unless I am wrong in question 1 and I DO need to use the -s 127 and then run tpip). Any help is appreciated. Can't wait to start.

1 - For many reasons, we still recommend using 127 as your swap setting. We have really not seen problems with this setting, even with larger drives.

2 - You can use:

Code:
    mfsinfo /dev/hdc
    We agree with ignoring tpip.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the reply. From what I've been reading I thought using -s 127 on a 400GB drive would cause problems if I got a GSOD. What is your opinion on this?

Comment

In theory, that seems to be the case, but in all the drives we've sold, we've never seen that demonstrated.

Comment

Thanks for you help so far. One more question, if I wanted to be "on the safe side" and just put in a 200MB swap space, will the -s 200 command work with the sata iso, or should I just use -s 127 and then run tpip afterwards. If it's the latter, what's the syntax for the tpip command? Thanks so much for your help.

Comment

No - the -s 200 will produce no swap at all, unless you also do tpip. -s 127 is the largest that works with the stock tools.

Comment

The weaknees_sata iso does have the mfstools bug fix that allows swap > 127MB. Here's a summary of the bug fixes in that mfstools version.

That said, there's really no evidence that you need swap > 127GB.

Comment

I thought that it did allow a larger swap (as I noted in note 1 of the original post). So I can indeed run -s 200 (for example) If I want 200 MB of swap without running any other tools?

Comment

I know there are different versions of mfstools out there, but I honestly don't believe the one on the CD supports the larger swap. I could be wrong, but that's my memory of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X