Philips DSR6000R01 hard drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philips DSR6000R01 hard drive

What is the largest hard drive I can install in a Philips DSR6000R01 TiVo unit?

Without the kernel modifications (we don't recommend them at all - they break down with software updates) the largest seen is 137GB, so dual 160 GB drives is effectively the largest that makes sense.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Actually it has the original 40 Gbyte drive and I was thinking about bumping up the storage by adding a 80 Gbyte WD drive I had laying around. Any thoughts on cooling or other required hardware?

Comment

That should be fine. You might want to just swap the fan out:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-fans.php

Comment

TiVoMAD boot disk

Added my second hard drive, no problems. Since myTiVo is an older Philips DSR6000R01 with the TiVo OS sitting at V2.0, I have to apply the TiVoMAD patch to the drive(from the instructions from Weakness), but the link to TiVoMAD is dead. Any other place I may find this program?

Comment

We don't reference TiVoMAD in any of our current instructions. Use the info here:

http://www.upgrade-instructions.com

Comment

Actually TiVoMad is still part of your WK instruction set for adding a second drive to a Philips DSR6000R01 TiVo /w OS 2.0. Check it out and you will see. Question is do I really need to run TiVoMad in order for the system to see the added recording capacity?

Comment

Are you sure you really have OS 2.0?

(you're right about those old commands . . .)

Comment

Yes, version 2.0-001-001. What should it be?

Comment

3.5.1. Did you disable software updates with a hack at some point? That version is many, many years old.

Comment

Picked it up at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago for $10. Still in the sealed box - never used - which explains why the software is so down level. Plugged it into my TV and everything seemed to work(got all the TiVo menus anyways). Connected it to my phone line and was able to dial out. My question is if I leave this TiVo in standby and connected to a phone line, will it dial out and update the software even though the unit has not been activated?

Comment

It may update even if inactive, but you'll also need access to a satellite dish. That's how the updates come down for DTV units. Then the use the phone line to get authorization for the install - at which point it may need to be active.

Comment

Working...
                        X