Series2 DT Upgrade kits ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series2 DT Upgrade kits ?

I have a brand new TiVo Series 2 Dual Tuner (Series2 DT) with a single 80GB hard drive (HD), Model TCD649080. I want to upgrade the HD I had a few questions. I've read some of the FAQs and other related info, so I have an idea what I want to do, but I thought I'd ask here for the latest feedback from people who have actually made similar modifications.

I want to buy a HD that is pre-formatted with the TiVo software (not a blank drive).
    The TiVo unit is on a home network with an iMacG5 if that matters.

Questions:

1. From whom should I buy the HD? WeaKnees or the TiVo Community Store ? WeaKnees is cheaper. Any reason not to go with WeaKnees ? Do either of these suppliers ever have sales ? Are there any other suppliers worth looking at ?

2. Is it better to Replace the original HD (Model TCD649080) with a single new one (I'm thinking 500GB), or Add a second drive ?

All the programs on the original TiVo HD have already been transferred to my mac (using Roxio Toast8 "TiVo Transfer"), so I'm thinking that transferring them back to a new HD (with TiVo Desktop System Preference) will not be an issue....?

3. Will a second drive fit in this Model TCD649080 ? If so, do I want to add the accessory fan kit ? (The TiVo unit is inside an entertainment cabinet.)

4. Has anyone had any problems with the larger replacement HDs? Problems simply related to the size of the drive ? What about reliability of particular HD brands ? Is there a HD size limit on this Model TCD649080 ?

4. I gather that TiVo considers this a hack. This will void my original warranty on the machine ? What other support type issues should I be aware of ? Will all future TiVo supplied software updates work correctly on the unauthorized HD ?

Thank you all for any insight,
    Larry

1 - We definitely recommend WeaKnees Toll-free support and ordering, quick answers - try us!

2 - Adding a second drive is fine for that unit. In fact, we designed and manufacture the only bracket to put two drives in it.

3 - Yes, our bracket can hold a second fan, and we highly recommend it.

4 - Generally, the larger the drive, the newer and better the technology. The larger drives have performed very, very well for us.

5 - The warranty will be voided, but the service and updates will continue as before.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X