Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toshiba SD-H400 (TIVO Series 2) and Packet8 VOiP

Good News:
    After installing weaKnees 160GB hd upgrade in my Toshiba SD-H400, it now works again (was stuck on grey powering-up screen)!
    Bad News:
    Can't complete guided setup. Displays 2 choices to make initial call: 1) CAT5 ethernet connection (which my SD-H400 doesn't have) and 2) phone line. My SD-H400 has 2 USB ports which I used successfully in the past with a D-Link USB wireless adaptor to download programming. Apparently the USB is not enabled during the guided set-up initial call. My only option is to use the phone line connection, however; I can't get it to work with my Packet8 VOiP connection. Have disabled detection and call waiting, and tried various call prefixes without success. Packet8 support is no help.
    Pls help! Any workarounds?

Using option 1 (the CAT5) should work with your D-Link. Have you tried it?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by malexan1 View Post
      Good News:
      After installing weaKnees 160GB hd upgrade in my Toshiba SD-H400, it now works again (was stuck on grey powering-up screen)!
      Bad News:
      Can't complete guided setup. Displays 2 choices to make initial call: 1) CAT5 ethernet connection (which my SD-H400 doesn't have) and 2) phone line. My SD-H400 has 2 USB ports which I used successfully in the past with a D-Link USB wireless adaptor to download programming. Apparently the USB is not enabled during the guided set-up initial call. My only option is to use the phone line connection, however; I can't get it to work with my Packet8 VOiP connection. Have disabled detection and call waiting, and tried various call prefixes without success. Packet8 support is no help.
      Pls help! Any workarounds?
      Don't know if this will help, but it's worth a shot. I have Vonage and I tried everything multiple times! Finally found out that my "bouncing" dialtone was the problem. If I pick up my phone to make a call, the dialtone will "stutter" 7 to 8 times before it settles down to a steady hum. Same thing when the Tivo is trying to phone home. I found out that entering 2 or 3 commas as a prefix pauses the call long enough, (about 4-6 seconds), for the Tivo to be met with a "workable" dialtone. It absolutely solved my problem, it might work for you. Worth a try.

Comment

Right - the "stutter" tone isn't considered a dial tone by most modems. The commas work, or you can set it to "ignore dial tone" and you should be OK.

Comment

My Toshiba SD-H400 with new HD is set up now. Could not get to work with Packet8 VOIP with any settings. I bought a Lynksys USB-to-CAT5 ethernet adaptor and plugged the unit directly into my cable modem and, BINGO, initial set-up works with the wired ethernet connection. After initial set-up, I plugged in my wireless adaptor and it was recognized and easily set-up.

Sorry for the delay in responding! Thanks to all for the help!

Comment

Right - for some reason, Packet8 VoIP just doesn't seem to work with any modem. They do something differently from Vonage and the other VoIP providers.

Comment

Working...
            X