Freaking Out / Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freaking Out / Confused

So I'm setting up my new Hi-Def Home Theater, and I made a deal with the dark forces of the Nether Regions for a HR10-250 for (not much) less than $1000.

Am I reading these threads correctly? DirecTV will only support SD into this type of box, not HD?

Say it ain't so!!!

You can definitely get HD in that unit. You can't get MPEG4 streams, but you can get all MPEG2 streams.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks, Michael. After a little experimenting and actually plugging the box in, it looks to me like I'm already getting a MPEG2 stream with only a triple-LNB dish! I'm getting MPEG4 streams (poorly) though a (poorly placed) off-air antenna. I'll remedy that soon.

What I'm really confused by- all the dudes at DirecTV told me that I had to have a 5-LNB dish to get HD. However, it looks like I'm getting HD through a triple-LNB dish. Could it be that DirecTV is "requiring" a 5-LNB, only because thier Ti-Faux requires that dish!

So, this leaves me with two questions:

1) Can the HR10-250 get full 720p/1080i HD through a triple-LNB dish, or does it require the 5-LNB like the Ti-Faux?

2) Is there an easy way to test whether the signal I'm seeing is 720p/1080i?

Comment

There are two levels of HD. The main, older one only requires a triple LNB dish. That's all you need for MPEG2 - and since HR10s can only see MPEG2, you're done. The MPEG4 (lower quality) streams are largely local channels in smaller markets. That's what you need a 5 LNB for. But you are getting the max quality with what you have.

The off-air antenna you have actually gets much higher quality than MPEG4. If you can orient that antenna better, or get a more powerful antenna, that's the best way to go, quality-wise, by far.

If the format button on the front says 1080i, you're in 1080i.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X