Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaknees LBA very slow

I tried cloning my Series 2 DT 80GB drive to a 160GB drive
    using Tiger's tools. That only got me to a reported 140 hours so I guess it didn't go above 127GB. That process took about 8 hrs to run (saving my recordings). I've now started the Weaknees LBA kernel and it is going much slower. Might take > 12 hrs to do the copy. Of course, it's not using DMA for some reason, but neither did Tiger's mfstools.
    Is there any way to speed this up in case I have to do it again? I have 1GB RAM in an Athlon 3200+ system.

Fixed the problem

Found another version of MFSTools on DVRUpgrade. These have the 'hdparm' command that allows you do specify DMA on each drive (e.g. hdparm -d1 /dev/hda). That reduced my upgrade time from what was looking to be 15 hours to 50 minutes!

Comment

Right - you can do that with our CD also . . . I think having it enabled by default reduces compatibility.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

How can I execute hdparm

Hi sorry but I've looked through this entire forum;

how can I run hdparm command from the latest version of weaknees iso? I get hdparm command not found?

I searched the cd to look for this, because when I initially ran mfsbackup | mfsretore, there were over 30 hrs to go and I wanted to see if I could speed this up...

thank you and sorry for asking the question but at least I found the command, just can't find out the file to execute the command..

Thank you very much!! Great forum!!

Comment

Try:

Code:
          hdparm -I /dev/hdX
          for each drive

Comment

Hi Michael

Thank you for the quick response...

from the weaknees# command line I typed as follows

hdparm -I /dev/hda

response returned was

sh: hdparm: command not found

I even searched the cd and I apologize for asking such a beginner level question, but where is hdparm on the CD or can I download it from somewhere and just run it somehow? I am more a windows technical person, some linux experience... Thanks again!!

Comment

Michael

I downloaded hdparm and ran the commands from a bootable cd I added hdparm to.. Thanks anyhow, I am good to go.. Appreciated your time!

Comment

Right - looks like it's not on your CD, but it's on the SATA CD.

Comment

Working...
                X