Updates over a peer to peer network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updates over a peer to peer network

I have 2 series 2 & 1 series 3 Tivos and I want to start using my broadband connection for updates. I do not have a network set up, but I do have an Actiontec model 1524 with 2 available ports. The Actiontec is not in the same room as the Tivos. I temporarily connected the series 3 to the Actiontec and told Tivo to use the connection to download updates. That went OK without setting up a network. The Actiontec has a built in firewall & it is turned on. Is it safe to leave my Tivo connected directly to the Internet through the Actiontec this way?

Can I create a peer to peer network with my Tivos & have them all use the series 3 TIVO to get their updates over the peer to peer network, or would they all need a separate connection to the Actiontec? I am only interested in the updates & not sharing recordings.

Thanks

There shouldn't be any danger leaving your TiVos connected. I can't say for sure, but they do run Linux which is much less hackable than Windows, and we haven't seen any exploits.

You really just need an inexpensive router (we have one on our site) to essentially give each unit a full-time connection to your modem. You might also want to go wireless - we have the TiVo Wireless G networking adapters that are really the best for TiVos. See the parts here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-parts-bin-2.php

Under "Networking Parts."
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go with a wired router.

Comment

Working...
      X