Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Upgrade Question

Howdy )

I decided to upgrade my series 2, 40 hour tivo last week and went out to compusa and picked up a 320gig maxtor drive... I followed the instructions but think i screwed up at the end.... I wasnt able to make a backup cus my c drive on my pc is NTFS.. so I just tried a straight copy. heres what i did and it resulted in my new hard drive giving me a gray screen..

I followed the steps in hooking the drives up to my pc...
    I followed the command for mounting the drive..
    I typed the command to copy the drive.. Here is where i developed my first question. durring the process it says in the instruction that a status indicator will tell me the persentage to completion... when i typed the command in and hit enter it started but code was racing through the screen and the speeker on my pc was making a chatering noise and beeping everytime the hd indicator lit up... the code was scrolling by so fast i could hardly see in percentage indicator... Is this supposed to happen ????

It finished about 8 hours later... I them typed the command to expand the drive... I think I jumped the gun and screwed up at this point...

I know it was going to take a long time to copy the drive... How long does it take to expand the drive ???

the command i used to expand the drive was
    mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda
    is ths correct?

before I try again should I run the maxtor disk and write the drive to 0 ??

P.S. the original tivo dive was fine I managed not to screw that one up....
    Last edited by Robzilla23; 06-23-2007, 08:18 PM.

That basically looks pretty wrong. To start with, what command did you use for the copy?

The expand command would have likely been some version of mfasadd.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yeah..... I think i see what I did wrong..... I found your interactive instruction site after I posted and compared your instuctions to what I had from Hinsdale... heres what happened... when I printed the instructions out my printer cut the copy/expand command in half.... so after mounting the drive I typed
      mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdX (/dev/hdY)

this is the point where I had the strange noise and screens.... once it ended 8 hours later I typed what I thought was the next command, due to the way it printed out..... which was
      mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdZ

I realsie now after seeing your interactive instructions that its all one command.... I'm working a trade show in boston the next few days and wont have a chance to retry till tuesday.... Ill let you know How I make out... thanks for answering me back.... Rookie Mistake

Comment

Yup - you need to do it "piped" as one.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hey thanks For your help.... your site is a wealth of information....I retried on Wednesday night and it went through with no problems..... you guys are the best

Comment

Working...
          X