New Series 1 Lifetime transfer offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Series 1 Lifetime transfer offer

OK, I am a relative Tivo newbie, having inherited a Philips Series 1 with lifetime service from my brother. I upgraded it with a new Weaknees HD earlier this year, and it works just fine.

I've just heard about the new Tivo offer to transfer the lifetime service to a new Series 2 machine, and I'm wondering whether it's worthwhile for me to do this or not. Currently I have regular cable service with an analog box. I realize this would let me record two shows at once, but frankly that would be extremely rare since I'm the only one in the house that uses it. My wife is a bit of a technophobe and sticks to her VCR.

The only issue I really have with the Series 1 is that I can't record one show and watch another at the same time. Yes, I know that I could set up splitters etc to do this, but my wife would never be able to figure out how to do the switching etc so she could watch.

Anyone want to give me some advice as to whether I should bother, or perhaps just wait another year or two until they make a similar offer for a Series 3? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

So, regardless of whether you want to record both stations at once, you still need to be able to tune in two channels if you want to process two live signals at the same time. Therefore, two options for dual tuning, which is basically what you're asking for:

1) You could get the Series 3 now and pay TiVo $199 to transfer the service from the Series 1. In this scenario, you Series 1 will continue to work for a full year without requiring any additional subscription

2) The dual tuner that TiVo is offering will accomplish what you want, but keep in mind that the Series 2 dual tuner can process ONE signal from the cable box (which allows for your full range of programming) and ONE signal from the wall directly from the analog portion of your cable signal

If it were me, and you're still watching in SD, I guess I'd wait.
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Jason. Option 1 is way too much money, assuming I need to pay for the machine plus $200 to transfer the lifetime subscription. Option 2, I understand that the second signal would be only direct analog channels, which again limits the attractiveness of the offer.

So I think you're correct. Even if I'm not living in South Dakota (OK, like I said, I'm a newbie, not sure what SD really stands for...)

Comment

My bad...SD stands for "standard definition" versus HD which is "high definition."
        That's all there is to it!

Comment

Ah, so. Thanks!

Comment

They did Lifetime for a TiVo DT from S1.

I got a e-mail from TiVo on 6/28/2007 that I could buy a Series 2 DT for $300 and trasfore the Lifetime subscription from a old Series 1 to it. That was are very first TiVo.

Here is the jpg I got in the e-mail.

I still have a old Series 1 got Lifetime on it back in Mar of 2002 TiVo Lifetime Service $199.00. It's are 2nd TiVo we got.

I hope they will do the same with the new $300 Series 3 TiVo! I could buy one as soon as they do, if they do.

-Raymond Day

Comment

Working...
            X