Daily Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Call

I have a Phillips dsr7000 unit. It had not made a call in to the TIVO service in 57 days. After many conflicting stories from Directv as well as Tivo themselves I got a regular dvr from directv to replace it. Big Disappointment.

I love my Tivo and I read in another post about it not being necessary to make the daily call. Is that true?

I tried to slow the modem down and blocking caller id. No luck with any of these. The unit would call into Directv to get the dial up numbers but none of the ones in my area code would work. I tried a 877 number it worked for a few weeks and then it went to Service not answering. I tried 866, 800, and 888 none of those worked or had numbers listed to dial into. If you guys have any help I would love to get my unit back and running. Thanks.

Right - the call isn't necessary. Just ignore the warning.

The call is only necessary for initial setup, PayPerView initiated through the unit, and OS updates. Otherwise, all guide data comes from the satellite.

We also have external modem kits that would fix it here:

http://www.weaknees.com/modem.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks

I will have to see what I can do with it now.

Comment

One more question

I had taken my tivo out of service when dtv sent me the new dvr. If I try to hook it back up and call them to activate it, will I have a problem getting it to work again? I don't want to go through the hassle to find out that it won't set up. Thanks Again.

Comment

I don't see why you should have any problem re-activating your TiVo with Directv. You should be able to call them and activate it either with an access card from another receiver in your house or with a new access card from Directv or us.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-directv-parts.php#card
          That's all there is to it!

Comment

Card

I still have the original card that came with the unit. Will that work??

Comment

It should - no reason not to try.

Comment

Sure, if you have the original card, go ahead and use it.

Comment

Tips

Any other tips for slowing modem speeds or helping the system? I have checked the numbers against tivo to make sure they were right. How many different ways can you slow modem speed? I am in the process of hooking it back up. I will try anything you have to give me. You guys are simply the best. I don't think I could have survived with that subpar dvr from them.

Comment

the two INTERNAL modem slowing prefixes i'm aware of are:

,#019 and ,#096

for EXTERNAL modems, use:

,#319 or ,#396

Comment

modem

Is it odd that the modem will call to get the different dial in numbers but I keep getting Failed. Service not answering.

Comment

Have you tried a different dial in number from the list?

Comment

Numbers

I just tried a long distance number for me and it made the test call. I am now trying to make the service call with my fingers crossed. I will let you know.

Comment

OK - there may be some problem with your local POP center.

Comment

Thanks

Made the call. I will have to keep checking to see if that local number ever starts working. If not I will have to check into a better long distance plan. Thanks so much again. I am glad the tivo is back.

Comment

Working...
                              X