Series 1 Frozen on Startup Screen after adding Drive B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 1 Frozen on Startup Screen after adding Drive B

About a year ago, I upgraded to a new 160GB single drive (only 137GB usable) in a Series 1 HDR31203. This went well, so now I was trying to add an additional 160GB drive to turn my Tivo into a dual drive unit.

I was able to complete all the steps following the Hinsdale upgrade instructions (MFS Tools 2.0, created tivo.bak, restored on new drive, tested backup, expanded capacity). My last step used
    mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/hdc /dev/hdb
    It completed successfully and showed new size of combined hard drives.

I placed both drives in the Tivo, but it remains on the black screen with the Tivo character and the words "Your Recorder is starting up. Please wait a moment..." It has been an hour on this screen. How long does it remain on this screen? Does it take a while for initializing to a dual drive system? Should I repeat my last step? Is there an easy method to revert back to my single drive or does the mfsadd command basically make my original single drive non-usable as a single drive?

That's most likely a jumper or cabling issue. Are you sure you have the IDE cable firmly in each drive and on the motherboard? Are the jumpers properly set: master on the original drive and slave on the new one.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes, jumpers set correctly and cables tight

Yes, the jumpers are set correctly. And the cables are tight. I know that power is going to the drives as I can feel them spinning when the power cord is attached. The Tivo cables look like standard IDE cables, so I will try swapping with an extra one if I can find one around.

Comment

I tried it with another known working IDE cable and still hangs on the starting up screen.

Comment

Working...
        X