640Gig Upgrade Gone Semi-Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 640Gig Upgrade Gone Semi-Bad

I bought two 320G Seagate drives from NewEgg ($94 each) and a TwinBreeze bracket from weaKnees. Followed the Hinsdale instructions, reinstalled the new drives in the TiVo and BAM - GSOD. Removed the 'B' drive and tried again. It came up fine. Hmmm.. bad drive? So I switched the 'B' drive to the 'A' postion and redid the backup/restore. Put it, by itself, in the TiVo and it ran fine. Reinstalled the previous 'A' drive as the new 'B' drive (using ANOTHER end-to-end backup/restore) and BAM - GSOD.

So I either have a bad TwinBreeze cable (doubtful, as I tried THREE different IDE cables - all new) or a bad Y-Power Cable (also doubtful as both drives spun up nicely) or mfsadd (mfsadd -x /dev/hdc /dev/hdb) is kaiboshing the new A/B combo for some reason. Drive jumpering has been verified MANY times.

Doesn't matter WHAT drive I use for the new, expanded 'A' drive, but as soon as I try to add a SECOND 320G drive, it barfs. I can live with 273 hours instead of 70 for a good long time, but I was REALLY looking forward to 600+ hours... It's running on a single 320G right now just fine.

Any ideas?

When you're using drives that large, you need a "-r 4" in either the restore string, or the mfsadd string, which ever you are using for the expansion. So after making a working A drive, try:

Code:
    mfsadd -r 4 x /dev/hdc /dev/hdb
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      When you're using drives that large, you need a "-r 4" in either the restore string, or the mfsadd string, which ever you are using for the expansion. So after making a working A drive, try:

Code:
      Coolness. Just out of curiosity, what does "-r 4" DO?

(I have GOT to get familiar with Linux, dangit!)

And, just to be clear, I can just pop in the second disk, and run the MDSADD command since all I'll be doing is adding a second drive?

Mike
      Last edited by TelcoDude; 11-20-2006, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post

Code:
        Striking out on my own, rightly or wrongly, I tried popping in the second drive and running the mfsadd command:

mfsadd -r4x /dev/hdc /dev/hdb

Put them both back in the TiVo and it now boots and runs just fine, but does NOT see the extra capacity on the second drive. Like Momma says, "Baby steps, Mike". So today I'll re-run the entire process, this time using the additional parameter "-r4" in the mfsadd step. Maybe THEN the TiVo will see the extra capacity.

Mike

Comment

You might try

Code:
          mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/hdx /dev/hdy

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
            You might try

Code:
            mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/hdx /dev/hdy
            Success! It only took SIX tries, but this one finally nailed it. I took the long route, doing the backup/restore at the same time. Using the Hinsdale Upgrade Instructions, I selected method #3. It took over 12 hours (I'm on vacation this week!) but it completed error-free. Using the weeKnees cd, NOT the Tiger CD, I modified the command to:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hda /dev/hdb

(Bold is the change I made from suggestions by Mike and Jeff)

Before: 70 Hours (variable) Stock 80G Western Digital HD
            After: 563 Hours (variable) Dual Seagate 320G HD's

Boy, am I a happy camper! W00t!

The additional parameter is indeed in the "Interactive Tivo Upgrade" instructions, but NOT in the Hinsdale instructions. There was my goof.

Thank you, Sirs, for your help.

Mike
            Last edited by TelcoDude; 11-22-2006, 12:40 PM. Reason: Because I'm an idiot.

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
              X